Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ziggy

Starting with seaBrisket?

After selling out of another game, I have just enough extra cash to buy a team of 9 (well, depending on model sizes. I have to pick between A&G or Harry/Fangtooth), or 6 with fewer restrictions. I want to start with the new Brisket as my main captain, though I'm not averse to having Blackheart or Rage in my lineup as well. Any suggestions for a buylist with those restrictions in mind?

I started Union a few weeks ago, so I haven't so much experience after all. Played two games yet, two games more will follow this evening.

Mascot:

As a Brisk3t only, I would preffer Coin. Strongbox complement a brawl very well, but Coin is more versatile.

Must-Have:

- Mist

- Harry 'the Hat'

- Avarisse and Greed

At the moment these three guys are my main team. In all of my countless (two) games, they were there and never let me down.

In one game Mist got the ball back, right after a Kick Off. In the other he shot a first Round Goal.

Harrys Aura is also very nice and together with A&G, they haven't to hide from a brawl.

A&G are so flexible! Huge Goal Threat? Check! Good Fighter? Check! Good Supporter? Check! Need be on the other side to disrupt a goal attempt? Send the nasty little guy.

Personally If i have to choose A&G or Harry i would take A&G, 'cause they are more fun for me.

Nice to have and/or not tested yet:

- Gutter

- Decimate

- Rage

- Minx

Rage and Minx have a very similar role. Minx is faster and better if she got engaged (and so no furious). Rage is nastier when he git his furious. Many wouldn't use Rage because of vRage in the line-up.

Gutter has the much needed 2" and can open ways (Chain grap), but haven't played her yet.

Decimate seems good, but i couldn't get her working in my two games. But in one game it was 3 Attacks with effective Tac of 7 and a total of 4 hits distributes on the 3 Attacks. (KD Greede, so on a 4+). So I think I could not blame her for that.

Today i will try Brisk3t, Coin, Mist, A&G, Minx and Gutter. (Both arrived yersterday)

This team is horribly mobile, so I think I don't need the Hat ( :( ). 

Thanks. Yeah, the "must have Harry/A&G" is throwing me off a bit given the higher prices and Harry being out of stock in most places. I may have to give that 6 you mentioned at the end a shot. So I don't want to have Minx and Rage?

Also, what are your thoughts on Brisk3t so far? I haven't found much about her just yet, but her card is promising.

I'm no top player and as a old Brewer's player have to learn the football game yet.

I like Brisk3t, but I think she is pretty different compared to other captains. With Tapper or Ester I consider giving them 4-6 Inf. Woth Brisket, there are rounds, where she had 0-2 Inf.

With Union this is quite interessting A&G, Mist and Harry where Inf hungry, so it doesn't felt like wasting Brisk3et, but using er Influence pretty well.

Here LP seems really great, but in the first game there wasn't a scene were I could pull it. In the second game I made the error to use it for rescue porpous. (She was surrounded bei A&G, Scum, Friday and vSpigot -> no where to go.) Would be better to give him the 2 VP and use it to get a goal.

Minx and Rage: sure, why not. Together with A&G and Mist (now probably Strongbox) you made a hart hitter list, with shooting support.

Maybe Harry isn't so important without vRage... (and again, I'm no top player, with two Union Games spend :))

With vRage he is so important, because of his versatility. With the Hat, your team is going faster forward. He can support football very well, but also supports a fight very well. 

Ziggy likes this

Played the two games:

1. vs Butcher (Fillet, Truffles, vOx, Shank, Meathook, Boar)

I kicked with Mist, because of his movement and the kick only Fillet was able to get the ball. To get it two safety she kicked it to the pig --> mistake.

Mist was able to sprint in melee range and tackle Truffles, dodges away and shot on goal. First activation goal, yeah!

Boar and Truffles killed Mist, Shank, vOx and Meathook went forward. Meathook with the ball. Last activation was Brisk3t, who used her legendary to get the ball from Meathook, sprint towards the goal --> end of first turn 8:0

The second round and third went also pretty well. Mist came back and got the ball.

Fillet was killed by Minx, Avarisse and Greede. Start of third turn Mist shot the thrid goal.

In the game everything went in my favour. Every scatter roll and attack roll...

But I was able to use Brisk3t really good and it was a ton of fun. Didn't miss Harry.

2. Game vs Engineers (Pin Vice, Mother, Ratchet, vVelocity, Locus, Hoist)

This game was really, really bad. Brisk3t missed a Goal (three times the 3, with vVelocity raising the TN), Mist missed a goal (Snake-Eye with intervening models).

And on both sides every second pass failed. In the end we had to quit 'cause my baby is getting teeth and doesn't want to sleep alone anymore/wanted to support my wife.

The final score was 6-2 for me. Brisk3t shot in turn 2 (again with LP yeah!), I killed Pin Vice and he killed Greede. But it really was a mess...

Had a couple of games with sBrisket last night following some previous ones which were a fecking disaster - you may have seen her goal misses on GuBS.

Last night was better, although I was a bit lazy and used her Legendary to score a goal in the first turn of both games. In the 2nd I had kicked but used Greede to collect the ball after my opponent left it alone. As I passed it back, the ball missed and ended up in a corner. My opponent even remarked that was the end of any goal attempts that turn.

Not so.

I moved Harry up the pitch and then jogged Brisket over to get the ball and then moved her within 6" of the Hat. The Legendary got her 7" up the pitch and I moved Harry up to the half way line with the subsequent free dodge. Brisket passed to Harry and used I'm open to get it back again = another 8". This put her within 8" of the goal but in Zarola's melee. I took the shot on 3 dice (with a Bonus Time!) and scored. Huzzah - Goal from nowhere!

Ideally it's better to bounce off Greede as he's the only Union with a 4 dice kick, while obviously using the Hat for the free dodges. I also give her Second Wind to enable her to get out of trouble. A 4" dodge and 6" jog, from an 8" range, should put you back on the goal line at least.

If you're trying to be economical, I'd pay attention to the Starter boxes. It looks like the S1 starters are disappearing to be replaced with 6 player boxes. Where I live, Gutter and Decimate are $18/each and the Union Starter with Blackheart is $40. If you want any of those 3 the cheapest way is the starter. Figuring out what you want and how to get them is a bit tricky at the moment with the change in starters and certain players (ei Blackheart) being a starter exclusive.

Jedianakinsolo likes this

I played Brisket 3 times today.  She's fun.  I won all 3 times but I think people still don't know what to expect from her.  The biggest thing I'm struggling to keep in mind is how key positioning is with her.  She gives Mist a 2'' dodge for free if she's within 6'', but she also wants to be within 4'' of Harry for the free pass dogdes.  Then, there's of course the passing game to keep in mind with her with "I'm open." She works off of her other players a lot more than I'm used to.  It's a lot more than setting up scrums and obvious synergies.  She's fun though. 

I haven't had anyone really successfully kill the ball yet but I can see how it's done.  Really, Mist has to do the fetching for her, so that's probably the weakness.  I've played her with Harry, Coin, A&G, Mist and Gutter.  One time I traded A&G for Rage and that went super well but the other guy didn't know to engage Rage.  Fairly new guy, so I'm not convinced that the trade is worth it yet.  

She's not a Shark level striker captain.  Probably not Midas either.  She seems to complement the Union team well though, and the 2 new Solthecians coming in will only make that better.

Ziggy likes this

35 minutes ago, Jedianakinsolo said:

I've played her with Harry, Coin, A&G, Mist and Gutter.  One time I traded A&G for Rage and that went super well but the other guy didn't know to engage Rage.  Fairly new guy, so I'm not convinced that the trade is worth it yet.  

Out of curiosity. Are you playing Gutter because her own merits or rather because a 9-man compromise? (Since she is super sweet with vRage)

I personally would prefer to try Decimate, Snakeskin, Minx or oRage over Gutter - if I were to choose freely. Granted, some match ups you might find the 2" worth a lot.

I have not player her yet, so just theoryballing here.

Since the last two spots in my 9-man roster are up for grabs, it's largely because of her own merits. Largely, the 2'' melee, and the 3/6 kick.  She seems like a decent target for "I'm Open" on Brisket.  Decimate's a little faster, and I originally had her in the roster, but idk at this point.  Decimate is probably the better choice, but at the moment I'm inflicted with Shark Fish 2'' melee trauma and 2'' melee is abnormally important to me right now.  Once I warm up to the game again, Decimate's probably the obvious decision.

Like I said, I tried Rage, and that was awesome, but the opponent didn't ever engage him when he had some solid opportunities to do so.  Rage got to charge a Knocked Down, Singled Out Boiler that was crowded out by 3 models.  Rage does not get to do that very often.

Ziggy likes this

Thanks again for all the list-building help, guys! Finally signed onto a Vassal league with her and Blackheart. I'm still not super good at focusing on football, sadly. Any tips (play-wise, I understand what models to bring, just not how best to use them) for playing the ball game with these guys? I'm going ahead with Brisk3t, SB, Harry, AG and Mist as my core, I think. I'm just so used to the beatdown game and trying to break my habits.

I'm an expert in nothing to do with Guildball.  I just like to run my mouth and type fast.  With that in mind;

The nice thing about that lineup is that everyone beats down halfway decent.  Even a tooled up Brisket isn't horrible, especially when you have Singled Out in the list and Strongbox.  Rage1 isn't bad in this lineup since Harry's there to clear him off and help set him up, and if Rage can't do anything, he tools up someone who can.  

I haven't played much SB, so I can't help you there.

Harry is great for building momentum, clearing off lanes, and just fighting and controlling in general with Goad and Molotov.  His key thing with Brisket, however, is his aura that knocks a momentum off of the price for teamwork actions.  This means that Brisket3 can "I'm open!" a ball to herself from say, Mist, and if she's within 4 of Harry, she can 4'' dodge for free.  She can even kick, and do it again.  

A&G can score from a million miles away.  One of the longest, if not the longest, scoring threat ranges in the game.  He's also perfectly capable of bashing and causing problems.  Just don't let him get farmed for momentum if possible.  Or if you do, let them scrum around him and sacrifice the big guy for Mist and Brisket3 scoring twice.

Mist is Mist.  He gains a 2'' shadowlike dodge at the beginning of his turn if he's within 6'' of Brisket.  He's already got the 2/2 move from cover, so that's a free 4'' extra movement with a little attention to positioning.  That gives him an easy 14'' threat range before any dodges or other shenanigans (receiving a ball while within 4'' of Harry for the dodge).  Brisket3 can't retrieve the ball the best sometimes because of 1'' melee, and she needs the ball for a lot of her movement tricks, so Mist is kind of her retriever.  She needs him to get it, and get it to her, and then she's home free.

So far, I've scored early with her, and kept her in the enemy backline as a potential 2nd turn, 1st activation tackle and score, and Mist is skirting the scrum in something of a pincer movement looking for wherever they hide the ball from her.

You're short a player.  Rage1 is good.  Decimate is good.  Gutter is good.  Rage1 brings some killing and tooled up if you need it.  Decimate brings some killing, some kicking, and some momentum buildup if you need it.  Gutter is the same, but a little slower, and with 2'' melee.  

Again, I'm no expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but that's what I'm finding with these players.

Ziggy likes this

I think my nine is actually that core, Blackheart and Gutter, Decimate and Rage until the new guys are out, so that works out! Got a 3-0 (well, 3-1) game done. It was a bit dicey but I need to learn to use A&G for scoring, since all my instincts are yelling at me to use them as beaters. I think if I'd focused on Greede being mobile instead of damaging, it would've gone far quicker.