Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Confidence, Meditation and Cabbage Punt all allow for re-rolls.

Whereas Confidence and Meditation are limited to the next Attack or Kick, Cabbage Punt allows for all missed Kicks to be re-rolled for the turn.

Is the intention that a kick can only be re rolled once or does Bushel keep rerolling misses until she suceeds - in effect she never misses?

I can't find a convention that says you can't re roll a re roll (or does it become a re re roll?).

MilitaryCoo likes this

That's a good question.  I would assume that you can re-roll any die only once, but that's my X-Wing experience talking... Would love to get a ruling on this.

firstly - confidence doesn't allow kicks to be re-rolled and isn't relevant. Confidence is limited to attacks and character plays.

on the other hand - mediation and cabbage punt have nearly identical effects for any given kick where meditation is chosen to apply. Re-rolls only happen the once. The difference is cabbage punt will apply to subsequent kicks as well, rather than just the next kick.  Re-roll as a term implies only re-rolling the once, as re-rolling a re-roll would use different terminology.

the other difference is cabbage punt requires the entire kick to be re-rolled. As it states "re-roll failed kicks" rather than meditations specific reference to "reroll one or more dice during its next kick"

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

firstly - confidence doesn't allow kicks to be re-rolled and isn't relevant. Confidence is limited to attacks and character plays.

on the other hand - mediation and cabbage punt have nearly identical effects for any given kick where meditation is chosen to apply. Re-rolls only happen the once. The difference is cabbage punt will apply to subsequent kicks as well, rather than just the next kick.  Re-roll as a term implies only re-rolling the once, as re-rolling a re-roll would use different terminology.

the other difference is cabbage punt requires the entire kick to be re-rolled. As it states "re-roll failed kicks" rather than meditations specific reference to "reroll one or more dice during its next kick"

Have you got any evidence that dice may only be rerolled once, apart from GW drumming it into us but their rules aren't relevant here.

I think we all inferred that you cant reroll a reroll but that's not written anywhere as far as I can see, and that means that Bonesaw can potentially keep on rerolling dice until he gets a screamer. Pretty sure this is not the intent though. 

LeadDiceandBeers likes this

18 minutes ago, CurlyPaul said:

Have you got any evidence that dice may only be rerolled once, apart from GW drumming it into us but their rules aren't relevant here.

I think we all inferred that you cant reroll a reroll but that's not written anywhere as far as I can see, and that means that Bonesaw can potentially keep on rerolling dice until he gets a screamer. Pretty sure this is not the intent though. 

It doesn't seem to be written anyway. This was something I checked this morning, it doesn't state either way that you can't re-roll re-rolls, only that all modifiers for the original roll will apply.

It doesn't say I can't stab you in the eye either and then wait till your clock runs out while your bleeding but I won't unless you try to tell me you can keep rerolling over and over then I might :D

I agree none of think it's infinite re-rolls, however it is a good point of order to have it properly clarified in the rules (there's always that one guy...)! Maybe add a no stabbing clause...

I'm surprised that it's taken as long as it has for someone from the lawyers guild to hop on and put this question to bed.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Re-roll as a term implies only re-rolling the once, as re-rolling a re-roll would use different terminology.

As many others have pointed out, this is the issue we're hopefully getting clarification on.  It's "implied", but not explicit.  Like EpicChris said, there's always that one guy... :P

Played against a lot of "that guy" people (been accused of it a few times too). Don't think I've ever played against one that would do this though.

On second thought please don't rule on this I want to meet that guy and stab him with a pointy stick 

7 hours ago, CurlyPaul said:

its a question of interpretation of language, the word re-roll doesn't imply re-rolling as many times as you wish it only implies the once. i think its a case where steamforged thought the word alone was clear enough. Although we all know what the lawyers guild are going to say, it would be nice to get it written down in the rulebook as a definition next time just so everybody can be clear. everyone benefits from the clearest wording possible

If reroll does not mean a limited number of times (and by not giving a specific number of times implying that the limited number of times is once), then reroll would effectively mean automatically succeed.

1 hour ago, Cats Laughing said:

If reroll does not mean a limited number of times (and by not giving a specific number of times implying that the limited number of times is once), then reroll would effectively mean automatically succeed.

Maybe in casual games, but repeated rerolls does cost the resource of time.  This doesn't matter so much for kicks or plays, but if you're trying to get a screamer on a two die shot or hit the top of your playbook, it may cost you a clock out if you're already low on time.

This also matters for the plot card rerolling a scatter. 

Can you force a reroll after the first reroll?

28 minutes ago, MilitaryCoo said:

No, if the kicking player chooses to reroll then no further rerolls are possible.

Does this ruling mean that the last line of Match Fixing "This new result can not be rerolled."  is redundant or does it have some further effect that isn't immediately obvious?