Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Steamforged

sleeves Card Sleeves for Dark Souls™ - The Board Game

33 posts in this topic

We've been inundated with questions asking about Card Sleeves. This is what we have been using in the Steamforged Office (other brands are available).

17813974_10158571739145360_140241319_n.jpg

You will need the following amount of each:

• Large Sleeve - 73 (We have been using Dragon Shield for these)
  • Small Sleeve - 177 (We have been using Ultra-pro for these)

Great, so those I've bought should fit just fine:

Large Sleeves:       61USVm+NZ0L._SL1000_.jpg

Small Sleeves:       61+41Hr15GL._SL1000_.jpg

Was worried about the small sleeves, since in the KS comments 42x63mm were making it's round but I couldn't find any sleeves to fit 42mm with that height... :)

And I certainly have bought enough of all... should likely be enough for all the expansions and all the mega bosses later (and I mean all, since I'm all-in and hopefully won't get disappointed by this gameplay vise! I'm not hear to have nice miniatures to paint...)

Thanks for clarifying!

The same brands when I played <s>the Decipher Star Wars CCG</s> MtG 15 years ago.  How are the Fantasy Flight slides on feel compared to the Deck Protectors or the Dragon Shields. 

Are those numbers (73 and 177) for the base game or for the base game plus all Kickstarter backer expansions?

I'm using a lot of ultra-pro pro fit sleeves for other games (most for Magic some for SDA LCG), so I guess it will be good for DS.

I will buy FFG small ones at my local store.

I just realized that the card count here doesn't match the card count on the advertising splash page.  I mean as people don't buy soft sleeves by the single it isn't an issue, but still guys.  

9 hours ago, Norintha said:

I just realized that the card count here doesn't match the card count on the advertising splash page.  I mean as people don't buy soft sleeves by the single it isn't an issue, but still guys.  

The 252 displayed on the box/splash page is correct, 250 of those are cards used while playing the game (and that's the number that the cards listed in the rulebook comes to). However, the rulebook doesn't cover the 2 flag (EN, ES, FR, DE, IT) card toppers (one for the large cards, one for the small cards) that are found on the top of the decks that contain localised cards (because mentioning these cards isn't required in terms of rules).

So yeah, just to clarify. 252 cards come in the box, 250 of them are cards for use in the game and 2 of them are used to show the large and small card decks which contain localised cards. Some people may choose to use these cards to maintain separation after playing, some may not... but either way it'd be wrong to simply leave them out of the total card count.

Cheers,
Alex

Edit: Flag topper cards I'm referring to can be seen in the image below (Credit to BGG via Twitter for the photo)

58ed25efbebcf_dstbgcardtoppers.thumb.jpg.5a2af2acccc2226ecd650ba47e67b68d.jpg

10 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

The 252 displayed on the box/splash page is correct, 250 of those are cards used while playing the game (and that's the number that the cards listed in the rulebook comes to). However, the rulebook doesn't cover the 2 flag (GB, ES, FR, DE, IT) card toppers (one for the large cards, one for the small cards) that are found on the top of the decks that contain localised cards (because mentioning these cards isn't required in terms of rules).

So yeah, just to clarify. 252 cards come in the box, 250 of them are cards for use in the game and 2 of them are used to show the large and small card decks which contain localised cards. Some people may choose to use these cards to maintain separation after playing, some may not... but either way it'd be wrong to simply leave them out of the total card count.

So the "not actually used to play the game in any way" parts are getting used to artificially inflate the card count of an already beefy set of cards?  Like I really want this game and am happy to throw money at it, and I realise this is a ridiculously tiny quibble in the grand scheme of things in this game, but that feels disingenuous. I mean people COULD find a use for the paper sprues the punch out tokens come in on too, but counting them in the game components count is dishonest too.

9 minutes ago, Norintha said:

So the "not actually used to play the game in any way" parts are getting used to artificially inflate the card count of an already beefy set of cards?  Like I really want this game and am happy to throw money at it, and I realise this is a ridiculously tiny quibble in the grand scheme of things in this game, but that feels disingenuous. I mean people COULD find a use for the paper sprues the punch out tokens come in on too, but counting them in the game components count is dishonest too.

FFS dude it is just 2 cards.

Replect likes this

I just think that the last thing that SFG needs to do now is make more tiny detail mistakes. 

1 minute ago, Norintha said:

In the nicest possible way, I was simply stating that you receive 252 cards with the game. This isn't a lie, nor an attempt to 'artificially inflate the card count' that is quite simply the amount of cards provided in the tray that all of the cards come in. I simply made a post to clarify why the number of cards printed on the box, and the number of cards totaled up in the rulebook didn't match.

As I said intially, this isn't intended to come across as abrasive so I apologies if it does, but I literally jumped on the forums to check if any further rule clarifications were needed and saw that I could clear up some confusion surrounding this subject.

Ultimately you're welcome to any opinion you wish, and I don't ever want you to feel like I'll deny you of that... but yeah... I was just wanting to clarify, wasn't looking for an argument.

Cheers,
Alex

I wasn't looking for an argument either? I asked why there was a difference in the count between the play materials and what the advertising splash says. I got the answer and offered commentary on why feels a tiny bit strange to me to count some of the assembly and packaging materials as game play elements but not other parts.  Nothing more nothing less.

@Norintha

You probably didn't intend to sound like you did, but your last 2 comments read pretty harsh and odd kind of... As you can see above I'm not the only one who took it that way. Apart from that, I don't really see the issue here... No offense! :)

Just now, Replect said:

@Norintha

You probably didn't intend to sound like you did, but your last 2 comments read pretty harsh and odd kind of... As you can see above I'm not the only one who took it that way. Apart from that, I don't really see the issue here... No offense! :)

I will be honest, I have always had a bit of an issue with tone regulation. If anyone took offence from it then that was 100% my bad.

Vegalink and Replect like this

No issues at all fella (or fellette? I guess it'd be wrong of me to assume your gender)! I'm extremely happy with the general tone of our little Dark Souls corner and would hate to see that diminish so it's sweet to see we're all on the same page :). I'm not here to dictate opinion, or quash healthy discussion... I'm simply here to give some clarity on matters I can, which generally speaking is just the rules bits (as you can imagine as a developer I don't have much to do with anything outside of my glorious spreadsheets).

Cheers,

Alex

Norintha, Replect and Joplick like this

1 hour ago, alxndrhll said:

No issues at all fella (or fellette? I guess it'd be wrong of me to assume your gender)! I'm extremely happy with the general tone of our little Dark Souls corner and would hate to see that diminish so it's sweet to see we're all on the same page :). I'm not here to dictate opinion, or quash healthy discussion... I'm simply here to give some clarity on matters I can, which generally speaking is just the rules bits (as you can imagine as a developer I don't have much to do with anything outside of my glorious spreadsheets).

Cheers,

Alex

Yeah :)  I am just very excited for this product to arrive and I have been hoovering up every dram of information I can collect. 

Can anyone in the UK recommend a good place to buy the sleeves from? I did have some for MTG, but they weren't clear ones. Links would be great :)

6 hours ago, Cyberfizz said:

Can anyone in the UK recommend a good place to buy the sleeves from? I did have some for MTG, but they weren't clear ones. Links would be great :)

Careful buying sleeves on amazon. For some reason FFG sleeves cost almost twice as much there compared to FFGs website.

Cyberfizz likes this

2 hours ago, Gervill Froad said:

Careful buying sleeves on amazon. For some reason FFG sleeves cost almost twice as much there compared to FFGs website.

Cause people are used to paying 10+ bucks for a pack of 100 deck protectors or dragon shields, seeing 100 FFG sleeves for say 9 bucks or so looks like a good deal to the uninitiated. 

2 hours ago, Gervill Froad said:

Thanks, I will take a look at their website direct

For anyone in the UK interested. Through amazon UK you can get all the sleeves from a company called docsmagic.de I have ordered all card sleeves required, plus a pack of 50 extra small for £12 (£7 + £5 delivery). Seem pretty cheap.