Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Sign in to follow this  
Monolith-Swats

Pin Vice and Well Oiled Machine

Played my first game with Pin Vice last night against a good friend of mine and had a blast in doing so, but a situation cropped up which left me with a lot of thinking whether what I was doing was correct or not.

And it all stems from Pin Vice's legendary "Well Oiled Machine" and team work actions.

I will hopefully look to take the engineers to a tournament this month and really want to understand the ins and outs of how this legendary works and hopefully you guys and girls (who are vastly more experienced than I am in the way of the cogs) can help me out.

The situation centered around Seasoned brisket having just missed a goal (and thus not triggering knee slider) and leaving herself near some very angry robots.

So begining of the turn, I had the intiative (after destroying Mist, who suicidally nabbed the ball off of me turn one) and loaded up pin vice.

My initial idea was to spring the legendary giving oil tokens to 4 mechanica in close proximity to brisket. Pin Vice would then pass the ball to the nearest mechanica and dodge forward using give and go (in base to base with brisket), the ball would then get passed around the other mechanica to get more dodges in to crowed out brisket with 2 other mechanica (locus and mainspring) and finally leave the ball with velocity ready for a goal run late on in the turn.

This would leave brisket unable to dodge away as she would be pinned in by 3 models in triangula formation and pin vice ready to lay the hurt with 4 influence after spending 1 for deletion.

This sounded amazing in my head, but now the harsh reality, is this actually legal?

The wording on Well Oiled Machine that confuses me is " A modal may not remove an oil-token after using a Teamwork Momentus action." and during the game last night I found myself dodging models then dodging back thinking it was illegal and it turned into a bit of a mess, wasting precious time that I can ill afford during a tournament game.

So, is the example below legal?

example; Pin vice uses an influence to pass to velocity (after activating well oiled machine), she spends the momentum gained to dodge base to base with brisket.

Velocity then uses her oil token to pass to locus, Velocity then spends momentum to dodge up into cover.

Locus then uses his oil token to pass to main spring, he spends mom to dodge base to base with brisket.

Mainspring uses oil token to pass to pin vice, he spends mom to dodge base to base with brisket.

Finally pinvice spends oil token to pass to velocity, keeps momentum and then wails upon a croweded out and trapped brisket.

This is following the rule to not dodge someone with an oil token on them, but to dodge after removing the oil token (so using give and go and not pass and move).

I apologise for the wall of text, but would be good to get your opinions on this situation so as to iron out my play.

Hi there, Welcome to the world on Pin Vice! 

"A model may not remove an oil-token after using a Teamwork Momentous action" - You have to remove the Oil Token to make the "Free" pass. 

As far as I understand this means you remove the token upon making the pass, meaning it is fine to dodge at that point as long as that player has not already dodged from receiving / kicking the ball. Worth noting a Snapshot! is also a teamwork momentous action so if a player has made a Snapshot, they would also not be able to use there Oil Token.

25 minutes ago, RTOAHB said:

As far as I understand this means you remove the token upon making the pass, meaning it is fine to dodge at that point as long as that player has not already dodged from receiving / kicking the ball. Worth noting a Snapshot! is also a teamwork momentous action so if a player has made a Snapshot, they would also not be able to use there Oil Token.

It simply means that the model receiving the pass cannot dodge and then use the oil token to make a pass itself. A model can make an oil-token pass and then dodge using the momentum (or for free if Harry is around) gained from the pass.

Snapshots don't really interact with the oil-tokens in any way. It's either one or the other, no matter if the snapshot succeeds or fails or if the ball lands in snap-to range of the player after the snapshot.

So yes,  your order seems correct. PV passes and dodges.  Receiving model passes then dodges (give and go) etc etc.  

Even better with Harry for making them dodges free.  

The model making an oil token pass can use a teamwork momentous action (give'n'go), the model receiving an oil token pass has to choose between using their oil token to pass or a teamwork momentous action (pass'n'move or snapshot). So yes what you described is legal.

Doesn't always work though. The other day I used WOM so I could use Hoist to bridge the gap between Pin Vice and Velocity for a snap shot. Hit both passes from PV to Hoist and then from Hoist to Velocity despite both of them being engaged. Only to flub a five dice tap in snapshot. :(

Thanks for the replies guys. To be honest just writing out that post kind of set in stone how the mechanism works. But now with the confirmation I will be a lot smoother using it.

That is until as mentioned (or as my friend has warned me) I miss a key 4 dice pass and all your plans go out the window.

I once missed a 5 dice bonus timed tap in with PV then immediately missed a 4 dice tap in with Controllered Velocity.  No bueno. 

2 hours ago, Silversmith said:

I once missed a 5 dice bonus timed tap in with PV then immediately missed a 4 dice tap in with Controllered Velocity.  No bueno. 

Ouch! Sometimes those dice seem to be begging to be thrown across the room!

I think I may have done that.  I eventually threw them away after missing easy shot after easy shot.  Hopefully it was the dice and not my luck.

In regards to Well-oiled machine, when it works, it works beautifully. Pin Vice was clutch at the end of my game today. Top of turn three she dodged around during to be within range of Colossus, picking up a bunch of momentum on her way. Cast controller on Colossus and popped her legendary providing a bit of passing magic! Colossus then immediately activated and passed to vet velocity who immediately returned the pass for a total of 6" of dodge. Then he sprinted towards goal and tapped in the game winner!

I typically count on Well Oiled Machine to get an extra 8 inches of goal/physical threat from PV.  Any benefits beyond that are just a bonus.