Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RTOAHB

Your favorite thing about the game.

28 posts in this topic

With a lot of chat going it'd be nice to hear some positive stuff. What's your favorite thing about GB?

Im being completely honest here. How balanced and viable the teams are, coupled with different playstyles.

When i play, i really dont find rock, paper, scissor as i have in other systems such as warmachine. I also really enjoy that its a reactive game and rewards players who can plan ahead and adapt as the situation unfolds. Your not sitting watching your opponent for 20min, even during their turn you are having to consider what resources you should use and when

32 minutes ago, Stephen78 said:

Im being completely honest here. How balanced and viable the teams are, coupled with different playstyles.

When i play, i really dont find rock, paper, scissor as i have in other systems such as warmachine. I also really enjoy that its a reactive game and rewards players who can plan ahead and adapt as the situation unfolds. Your not sitting watching your opponent for 20min, even during their turn you are having to consider what resources you should use and when

This 100%. There are a few quibbles in player power but its nothing compared to what is present in other games. Steamforged have shown in the past they will address this at periodic intervals (perhaps not as often as many, including myself, would like but they certainly do it). I played Warhammer before this and there were several non event match-ups so its good to play a game that you always have a chance in though I'll admit there are some uphill struggles.

In addition playing with 6 out of a choice of 9 players is good, changing a single option significantly changes the playstyle. More importantly I'm happy to paint up 9 models at a time.

39 minutes ago, Stephen78 said:

100% agree. I don't consider anything a 'negative play experience' in Guild Ball - I've never had a game where I felt I couldn't have won if I'd have done something differently or a particular dice roll hadn't gone my way. 

I always feel involved, I always feel engaged and I feel that player skill is a much bigger factor than team balance.

Lots of models get thrown around as examples of things you shouldn't play, but actually the difference between the best and the worst is rarely so terrible - I kicked Shark's ass with Chisel the other day for example.

I also love the low model count and the fact that even with my slow painting I can get teams on the pitch!

Low model count.

Quality models that make my painting look at least reasonable.

Unique identity of Guilds.

As much as 'netlists' exist a good player can win with pretty much any lineup.

Good community.

This is the first tabletop game I got into and then Infinity and Malifaux.  GB is by far the most straight forward game to get into, but also a lot of depth once you know the mechanics and models' stats and abilities.  I'm not a very good player but feel every game I played, I learn something.  That could be either my style of play or how models interact between friendly or enemy models.

Most of all is the community, met some top people in Steamcon and Tournaments.     

The things that got me interested at the start were the setting and the playbook mechanic. Once I started playing I realised the alternating activations and momentum mechanics, especially reactive MP spends like counter attack, were what kept the game interesting and fresh. I love how S3 made these more relevant through the use of "home crowd", even when it causes problems for me at the top of the turn.

1. Alternating Activations. can't go back now

2. Viability of models. In general, you can take almost any model in the game and still have a good game. when i played warmachine i was plagued by my tendency to try to pick the best and most effective options which usually made factions into 1-2 units (stormlances anyone?), the cream of the crop warcasters etc. It felt like i actively got punished by picking the less ideal models.

Not so in guild ball. There's a few meme-worthy models around but in general you can play your entire roster. i enjoy trying to make my teams as lean and efficient as possible, and i feel like i get to make a lot of meaningful decision in picking the 9 and 6, and that even people who differ wildly from mine aren't making less efficient decisions. Good example is the mortician union slot in a 9. Some people take Mist, some take A&G. If i was told i had to try to make a list without these two and try something with Rage, Fangtooth or Minx, i'd be very comfortable doing it. It never feels like you're shooting yourself in the foot to walk the less travelled path

3. Faction viability. Hunters need a buff, outright. i've played against them many times and i just know they really need it. Everyone else? they all seem great. undeniably they have positions on a power curve and some win more than others but ive had some of my hardest games against factions lower on the curve rather than higher

100% my favourite tabletop game and I've played most of them. The models, the rules, the gameplay (+1 alt activations)...

I may moan about a thing or 2 but I bloody love GB. Love it. It's amazeballs and I want it to continue forever and have everyone playing it.

The models are fantastic. I got into the game for a couple reasons (demos were fun, my friends were playing it, love the concept of stabby soccer). The alternating activations is a mechanic that outside of Infinity (which brings balance with their ARO system) I don't think I can play a game without. But these aren't concepts unique to GB. Throw in influence and momentum, and now it's a phenomenal combination.

Back to the models. I picked Fish to play because of Siren. One of my favorite minis ever. 

The rules keep me engaged for the duration of the game. No just sitting there and waiting for my turn to roll dice. 

I'm also a fan of the community and volunteer corps.

The guilds, the models, and the community--playing great games with those who really like it too. Also the game and its mechanics are top notch. It's such a good game that I spend most of my free time doing GB related activities, and enjoying it!

All of the above, plus game length. Even a long and very casual game will be over in 2 hours. Which with kids and work is just ideal. And a 4 round tourney doesn't feel like you just have been ran over by a truck. 

It's the possibility of winning without resorting to beating up the opponent. Played too many games where the objective is just to swarm in and see how many of the opponent you can kill before they do it to you.

Small game size. Just swapping one model out in a 6 person team can change your game plan. And every one of those players is essential - there's no fat padding out the points. Models don't exist just to be chaff that your opponents star players can munch through. There are some comparatively weaker and stronger players, but every player is viable.

There's the feeling that every turn you can do something to change the outcome of the game. Seldom is it won in the first couple of activations.

Accepting that abstract rules make for a cleaner rules set and it makes play quicker. Sure we have a moan about the rules here and there but I think most of that comes down to inconsistency in wording. The actual rules philosophy is bob on.

27 minutes ago, Henry said:

It's the possibility of winning without resorting to beating up the opponent. Played too many games where the objective is just to swarm in and see how many of the opponent you can kill before they do it to you.

Small game size. Just swapping one model out in a 6 person team can change your game plan. And every one of those players is essential - there's no fat padding out the points. Models don't exist just to be chaff that your opponents star players can munch through. There are some comparatively weaker and stronger players, but every player is viable.

There's the feeling that every turn you can do something to change the outcome of the game. Seldom is it won in the first couple of activations.

Accepting that abstract rules make for a cleaner rules set and it makes play quicker. Sure we have a moan about the rules here and there but I think most of that comes down to inconsistency in wording. The actual rules philosophy is bob on.

Yeah the rules are very nice, both to learn and to play. I don't get ever get upset they're abstract but it is a source of comedy to me whenever i imagine a pack of rats managing to kick a ball. Or how stupid dirge is to get caught by a PITFALL trap (me and my friend imagine jaecar includes a radar and allows it to fire itself 20m into the air to take the bird down). i'd be very upset if the rules were different, i love them as they are.

I really like the alternating activations, it creates a more positive play experience than sitting for 10 minutes watching your opponent put everything into place to kick you in the teeth.  Now when that happens, I at least get to participate, and figure out later how I was helping him kick me in the teeth.  

I also very much enjoy the goal-scoring aspect.  Most of the miniature games I have played include some form of objectives to use in addition to killing folk, but even in the context of achieving those objectives, the players succeeded or failed primarily in how well they kill the enemy.  This game provides an objective mechanism (scoring goals) that works independent of killing people.

Finally, the rule system is very elegant.  I am very much enjoying the game thus far.

• Fluff that is way better than it has any right to be
  • Alternating activations
  • Relatively short games
  • Very engaging to play the actual game, rather than the idea of the game
  • No need to spend 20 hours a week to keep up with the meta or theoryballing rosters
  • Relatively cheap and low entry point
  • All rules online and easily accessible
  • A growing pool of quality memes
  • Guilds still distinct from each other
  • Season formatting
  • Mat Hart on every podcast ever
  • No points system

These are a few of my favourite things.

Yes, the lack of meta or at least the presence of only a very subtle one.

I've enjoyed playing games like X-Wing and Netrunner in recent years, but have most definitely not enjoyed wrapping my head around the ever shifting variables which puts me off entering an organised play events.

The whole package is great and has reinvigorated my interest in miniatures wargaming.  I love the following aspects in particular, most of which have already been echoed within the earlier posts:

·         Low model count – 9 models and you have a tournament team up and running.

·         Models are all individual and beautifully sculpted (if I had time and the money I would get them all!)

·         Playing 6 out of 9 allows flexibility to match against your opponent.

·         Playing surface is small enough to fit on the dining room table.

·         Alternating activations enables you to feel involved throughout the gameplay experience.

·         You can still win a game despite feeling as though you have been beaten to a pulp!

·         Great community.

In summary just a great system, my thanks to the team and all involved, long may it continue.

I really dig the fact that the game feels so mobile and active, would even like to see more of that.
Also love the diversity of the guilds' styles and visuals, so far they've managed to do a lot with just "humans in funny outfits and their pets." Think this can only get better with more guilds added so that's exciting. 
Best implementation of a dice pool system I've played with IMO. The playbook is such a neat mechanic. 
Finally, community has been wonderful the whole time I've played. Makes it worthwhile traveling for events and such for sure :D

The community. Knowing I can walk into a tournament 2 hours drive away and I'll find people I know and enjoy playing. 

There are so many great local characters, I won't name them to save the feelings of the ones I forget. Just lately there have been more and more people from further afield, names I recognise from BO or podcasts, and even SF staff. That's pretty cool in itself, and surely a good sign of a healthy game that these guys aren't so sick of it, they travel and play for fun.

Bit of an odd thing to like, but having had a couple of orders shipped to me lately, I'm a big fan of the packing peanuts SFG are using - no more bags of them sitting about, or trying to get them all into a bin without escaping everywhere...

you just throw them in the sink, run warm water over them and they're gone :D 

1 hour ago, Mako said:

Bit of an odd thing to like, but having had a couple of orders shipped to me lately, I'm a big fan of the packing peanuts SFG are using - no more bags of them sitting about, or trying to get them all into a bin without escaping everywhere...

you just throw them in the sink, run warm water over them and they're gone :D 

I did not realise this!