Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woldie

Vs Fish

I'm slowly starting new S3 threads for each of the other guilds, and, since I will be facing two Shark coaches over the next week, I thought now would be a good time.  

So what do y'all think? I've been toying with the idea of bringing Gutter in my 9, hoping that her 2" reach, speed, Chain Grab and Anatomical Precision might prove useful, but I've grown very comfortable with both A&G and Harry.  I'm also assuming vSpig is just a no-go vs Fisherman - especially since oSpig can help in the team more.  And then there is Stave.

Any other thoughts?

SCArmoury likes this

Fish Player Here.

The first thing you need to figure out how to mitigate is what you are going to do on Shark's Legendary turn. You will want to have at least a few players who can deal damage at range or have somewhat reasonable speed, otherwise you are going to find yourself with a really unfun turn. Whenever I play against Brewers it seems I always run into Esters for this reason. Harry is also not terrible against us for a Moltov thrown at someone's feel (not on them, but in front of them). Stoker too.

The second thing you need to think about is what is your plan for killing the ball. If you kick off to a shark who knows what he is doing it is very hard not to find yourself on the wrong end of 8-0/8-2. If you can't kill it, you're not going to be able to get take outs faster than us and you certainly aren't going to outscore Shark. Who is gonna hold it or where are they going to stand? I've played more than one game of chase Scum around. I also have seen Esters be an OK ball holder, due to Glut Mass, once Shark has activated.

jahatch28 likes this

4 hours ago, Woldie said:

I'm slowly starting new S3 threads for each of the other guilds...

This is what I was trying to go for with the 'Stuck Fermentation' thread.  :)

I find the Shark lead Fish most challenging at present. I can usually hold my own, that is I'm normally not 'too concerned' when I'm matched-up with a Fishermen player. However, I have a friend who is particularly good with Shark and winning a game against him seems nigh impossible (not just to me and my Brewers either). He really does hate Stave though...;)

For me, completely killing the ball is difficult because if I see an opportunity to score, I'll go for it. Just as I tend to see an easy take-out like a starving lion would a wounded gazelle. Just. can't. resist. This usually works well.. but not with Shark. If I score then it's often answered, even if I'm careful with activations. If I take the dangling take-out bait, it seems I'm using resources for a 'measly 2 vp,' and I'm marching along in slow progression, uphill in a headwind.  

The problem with Esters is the same as any Brewer with a 1" melee. Sure, she can GM one attack, but with all the 2" on the Fish, it's just a minor inconvenience. Further, her 2" MOV buff is largely mitigated when you're gut and stringed and caught in the net. With a 2" team, you can at least counter for pushes or KD, or a T on occasion-- that is, if there's no double-dodge selected.

Sharks Fish are a very tough match up for Brewers.

Tapper (low KD on counter) and Mash (UM) are probably the best place to try killing the ball after the inevitable first turn score. Add in Hooper and Harry for a total of four 2" reach models; oSpigot and Scum round out the team - maybe replace oSpigot with Stave (Fish are the only match up I'd recommend him in). 

Try and position models so any Fish player trying to tackle the ball suffers Crowd Outs, try using  Harry's Goad to keep Shark away from the ball. 

Biggest threat after Shark is oSiren because she'll abuse the Brewers low DEF and retrieve the ball at range - this is where Esters is better because a couple of Tooled Up Blasted Earths hurt the fragile Fish.

In a draft format suggest Scum-Harry-Mash-Hooper-oSpigot - if not facing oSiren Tapper; otherwise Esters.

Sorry for the ramble - Grampa GenX's age-addled brain does that sometimes. 

SCArmoury and jahatch28 like this

The Fish is back.

Boy I'd love to play some of these line ups. *SHARK BAIT OOH-HA-HA*. It's not only about the reach, you have to consider the speed/range abilities of your models as well. Stave is a reasonable choice for this matter, but also you have to realize a KD isn't even really that amazing of a counter attack option in general. You'd really rather have pushes when you can. Stave also makes it so Shark can contest you on the momentum race and he really doesn't do you any favors for the rest of your matches. You reallllly don't want shark going first at the top of turn 2.

I'm a really big fan of Stoker against the Shark match. Stoker is super good against fish because they generally have low(ish) TAC and his armor eats it up. Most fish tackles are on the 2nd column and this can be fairly hard to do against an armor 2 model. His double >> on two is absolutely insane. "what about reach" you say? Well yeah, but the armor is more valuable. With Stoker you are basically playing Math-Ball. He's even better now a days because Sakana is falling out of favor in lieu of Hag/Greyscales.