Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mako

Easter Mascot Painting Challenge!

35 posts in this topic

Since the year is slowly ticking towards Easter, it felt like the right time to have a little painting challenge here on the forum. So why not show a little extra love to the smallest members of the Guild Ball rosters, the mascots!

That’s right, the first forum painting contest (but not the last) is all about mascots – any season, any guild, any species :) 

And if you don’t think you’re a particularly good painter, read on anyway – it’s not all about being technically perfect…

The Rules:

Time runs until the 14th April (Good Friday) at midnight GMT, any entries need to be posted in the relevant Final Entries thread by then. That thread will go live at least a week before the deadline, so check back every so often (I’ll add a link here when it does).

One entry per person, and entries must be painted and based by the person submitting them. If you get stuff commission painted, they should be the one getting credit for it ;) 

Max three photos for each entry, don’t go nuts with the photos!

Models must be on their appropriate gaming base.

The Rewards:

There will of course be kudos for the winner, but that’s not all.

-The winner of best painted will get a special edition easter bunny fangtooth.

-Second and Third place prizes will be a mascot model of your choice.

-There is an extra prize for our favourite concept, the winner of which will also get a mascot of their choice. Favourite Concept isn’t about the painting, but about pieces that tell us a story, with their basing, colours and the like.

Photo Advice:

Because taking photos of models can be as tricky as painting them, a few points that might help.

-Try to take photos in soft daylight, like near a window that isn’t getting direct sun.

-Stand closer to the window/light source than the model is, to avoid backlighting.

-Use a mid-grey piece of paper or cloth behind and under the model rather than white, to avoid bleaching out colours.

-Crop the photos down before you post them, so we can see what you've done.

So to sum up, everyone has until the 14th April 2017 to post up 1-3 pictures of their best mascot on a gaming base for a chance to win Top Three Painted Mascots or Favourite Concept.

For my part, I’ll be painting Tentacles this month, but I can’t win regardless so that's not important right now :D 

Who else is in?

Edit: and here's the link to the place to post up your entries

http://forums.steamforged.com/index.php?/topic/36640-easter-mascot-challenge-finished-entries/

Welcome aboard! I didn't specifically put a rule up against stuff people have already started, but I always encourage doing a new piece for a new contest so I definitely recommend scum. He's great fun to paint all mangy :D

There's no requirement for an easter theme, it just happens to be easter time with an easter prize. We want people to be able to use them in games afterwards without it looking too odd :D

Course, that theme could be fun for the favourite concept part ;) 

I'm up for this, but I've just finished painting all my Mascots :( I don't have Tentacles yet, so this'll give me an excuse to pick him.

Welcome to the challenge everyone! And here I was worrying people wouldn't have as much fun as I do painting the little critters :D 

Do we have to start painting a mascot or is a painted one acceptable as an entry. Also how many mascots can we enter, y'know for those of us who have impulse control issues and have more mascots and teams than we really should...

You can enter one you've painted before, though I always encourage new ones - you get better with every model you paint, after all!

One entry per person, so you'll have to pick your best/favourite/easiest-to-find one to enter. Otherwise people like you and me, who own basically every guild, could spam the contest into oblivion (I deny that impulse control is a thing) :D

I'll put up the finished entries thread at the start of April, will link it here when I do

Damn, now I have to choose which mascot to enter. Prized Piggy (who hasn't seen much table time) or venomous octopod.... maybe another eight limbed creation instead... Curses!

I wish I had the skills to sculpt a rabbits swarm to be fielded alongside Eastertooth...

(Just throwing this out here, since I'd never be able to model such a team)

the Confectioner's Guild:

• Cap: Willy Wonka (Obulus)
  • Mascot: Cuteswarm
  • Union: Eastertooth
  • Player: (Egg) Basket
  • Player: Cocoasset
  • Player: Fryingpan and Munchy?

Don't encourage me to break out the sculpting gear, I've not even managed to finish prepping tentacles yet! :D

How's everyone else getting along? Three weeks to go...

Finished my entry, picked up Mother last Saturday and finished the last bit of painting today. Do I need to enter the burrows with her?

I think I just finished my entry. 

Was going to enter my favourite Salt, but I've just finished Truffles and love it so I think he's the one for me! 

The finished entries thread will go up this weekend for all you folks that have already finished!

I need to get off my ass really and paint... :D

5 hours ago, masterkdog said:

Wait you have some of the farmers already?????

Nah, I just have a tentacles sitting there waiting for me to get round to priming him!

I am entirely farmer-less. Not really a bad thing considering I have nine guilds and no fully painted team, I think? :lol: