Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
burroboskov

BurroBoskov's Match Summaries

I thought I would compile all my brief game summaries that I put on the NYC facebook group into one place. I wouldn't call them match reports, just short paragraphs.

Nu Brand Gaming - 4/4/17

Playing - Smoke, Naja, Vitriol, Calculus, Compound, Harry

Against - Shark, Tentacles, Siren 1, Greyscales, Sakana, Hag

Score 12-9 for the Fish.

I received a Shark Kickoff, which I collected with Vitriol and got her onto some fast ground. She would spend the next 2.5 turns with Sakana, neither of them being able to keep the ball and get away from the other. Harry was able to goad Shark away from that side for that whole time, but served as a momentum farm for the fish captain. Compound and Siren joined that scrum, with Calculus and Hag watching from their respective lines. Smoke was able to spread a few conditions which eventually led to a Siren take out, but in a crucial turn Vitriol could not land 2 hits on Sakana, and so with the aid of Shark, Sakana scored a goal. He was promptly taken out for his trouble by Harry and Calc, with the recently returned Fish players all lining up one side, and Greyscales on the other. All the cat and mouse games meant that we were both out of time at a 4-4 score, my returning goal kick fell to Compound. Not trusting the big man to be able to hold on to the ball, I had him sprint and boot it. This wasn't enough to stop the fish from retrieving it, and as we spent a turn alternating and giving points, sending every player we could to the ball, it came down to the final turn. Fish with the momentum lead took charge, and an on fire Sakana farmed two Momentum from Smoke (Major mistake trying to body block with her, should have left it to my 2" reach folks), sprinted and made the 3 dice kick. Had he missed, Harry would have charged him for the win.

Close game, made some mistakes but also suffered some unforgiving dice. Still getting the hang of smoke, and I'll be happy to get VKat into the line up now that he is on my project table.

11 hours ago, burroboskov said:

I thought I would compile all my brief game summaries that I put on the NYC facebook group into one place. I wouldn't call them match reports, just short paragraphs.

Nu Brand Gaming - 4/4/17

Playing - Smoke, Naja, Vitriol, Calculus, Compound, Harry

Against - Shark, Tentacles, Siren 1, Greyscales, Sakana, Hag

Score 12-9 for the Fish.

I received a Shark Kickoff, which I collected with Vitriol and got her onto some fast ground. She would spend the next 2.5 turns with Sakana, neither of them being able to keep the ball and get away from the other. Harry was able to goad Shark away from that side for that whole time, but served as a momentum farm for the fish captain. Compound and Siren joined that scrum, with Calculus and Hag watching from their respective lines. Smoke was able to spread a few conditions which eventually led to a Siren take out, but in a crucial turn Vitriol could not land 2 hits on Sakana, and so with the aid of Shark, Sakana scored a goal. He was promptly taken out for his trouble by Harry and Calc, with the recently returned Fish players all lining up one side, and Greyscales on the other. All the cat and mouse games meant that we were both out of time at a 4-4 score, my returning goal kick fell to Compound. Not trusting the big man to be able to hold on to the ball, I had him sprint and boot it. This wasn't enough to stop the fish from retrieving it, and as we spent a turn alternating and giving points, sending every player we could to the ball, it came down to the final turn. Fish with the momentum lead took charge, and an on fire Sakana farmed two Momentum from Smoke (Major mistake trying to body block with her, should have left it to my 2" reach folks), sprinted and made the 3 dice kick. Had he missed, Harry would have charged him for the win.

Close game, made some mistakes but also suffered some unforgiving dice. Still getting the hang of smoke, and I'll be happy to get VKat into the line up now that he is on my project table.

Thanks for the report, always interesting to hear what other players are encountering. Crazy that you all timed out with such a low score.

2 hours ago, Seacitygamer said:

Thanks for the report, always interesting to hear what other players are encountering. Crazy that you all timed out with such a low score.

Cheers. I can rack up my clock management to being my ~4th or 5th game with Smoke, but it really was a strange situation for us both to be that low, and to clock out within an activation of each other. The ineptitude of our strikers left us shuffling the rest of our models around in preparation for one of them to make a break, which never came.

Really focuses the clock management aspect of the game though. Had I had one fewer activations, his goal would have put him to 11, with a good chance for me to get the final take out I needed. A lesson learnt, if it looks to be a "clock off", burn as many activations as you can before your clock runs out. Saves you points.

NBG - 4/8/17

Game last night. I was kicking off with my Alchemists to Engineers. I was thinking of going for a Smoke beat down squad with Venin *Gasp!* but chickened out halfway through the draft and went with a classic Midas line up.

Lineups (In draft order)

Opponent - Mother, Colossus, Harry, Compound, Ballista, Velocity (Who are ya, ?X?, ?X?)

Me - Naja, Vitiriol, Harry, OKat, Midas, Compound (Knee Slider, Wingback, Double conditions removal one)

Vitiriol kicked off, getting herself into cover and within 8” of the edge of the board. Ball was placed just over halfway. Colossus comes up to get the ball, passing back to Harry I think? Either way, I know I’m committing to the Vitriol stuff and score. With wingback she charges Harry, gets the wrap to both tackle and momentus push dodge him out of counterattack range. She gets clone off of Colossus, flubs an attack to dodge out of combat with him and ends up being at a 2 dice kick after bonus time since she is engaged by Colossus, and both Compound and Velocity are in her way. 75% works out for me, and it’s 4-0 alchemists after 2 activiations. She gets Who are ya put on her, and also knee sliders away back to where she started almost.

Things develop in the middle, with Okat being able to get enough momentum off a charge on Ballista to get first turn. This lets Vitirol steal the ball back from Velocity, passing it over to Midas who sets up for a Turn 3 goal since Compound and Mother are annoying enough to make me wait for it. Harry and OKat take charge of the middle, pushing Ballista around (although Harry rolled maybe 8 1’s and 2’s on a charge, which was annoying) and tying up basically his entire team. Naja was pivotal for crowding outs. Colossus gets a huge Unexpected arrival off that disrupts me scrum, and allows the engineers to KD and eventually take out Vitiriol before focusing on OKat. However with a heal and him being a beefcake, he is only at half health by the end of the game.

Meanwhile Midas scores a goal at the start of turn 3 by bouncing off Compound, and has super shot up for a snap shot to win. The goal kick ends up right behind the big scrum, and Harry is able to disengage himself and charge Ballista while engaging Compound (2” reach is so good…) and manages to get his 2 dice pass to Midas, only for Midas to fail a 5 dice Snap Shot! (81% chance).

Still, the writing is on the wall because it’s just Compound to try and secure the ball. He is able to get it to Colossus off a perfect kick scatter at the top of 4, but Midas is in range, and with my first activation on turn 4 is able to bully the big guy into giving him the ball and taking a 4 dice goal kick for the win.

12 (3 goals, Vitriol, Midas *2) - 2 (1 takeout, Vitiriol)

Okat impressed me this game. At one point he was engaged by 4 engineers, but still turned all 3 influence into momentum, KD a player along the way. With Harry he is great in the middle, especially with Naja. If I had given Vitiriol a little more attention she might have survived, but she did her role perfectly in terms of scoring and getting the ball back to Midas’s side of the pitch for him to score again. Compound was a great battery, and Midas, well…

He was golden.

Arkin and Seacitygamer like this

I've been a bit too busy lately to play games, and unfortunately it seems like it is going to stay that way. I'm hoping to sneak in at least one game in the next two weeks, but we will see.

In the meantime I've been painting up VKat, so I'll probably have him in my roster of 9 by the time I play my next game.

1 hour ago, burroboskov said:

I've been a bit too busy lately to play games, and unfortunately it seems like it is going to stay that way. I'm hoping to sneak in at least one game in the next two weeks, but we will see.

In the meantime I've been painting up VKat, so I'll probably have him in my roster of 9 by the time I play my next game.

Would really like to see if you can work VKat into a Midas list, I'm struggling to make him work, but have played 3 games with Alchs total. 

I got a game in, and even took some pictures! No promises that i will continue to do so, but it worked out this time.

NBG - 3/24/17

Playing against my regular Engineer opponent. I just painted VKat to a table top standard, and was eager to try him out. During drafting I was certain my opponent was going to go Pin Vice because of all the mechanica, but ended up Ballista. I decided to try out VKat with Midas first, which was somewhat influenced by @meep277's request.

Line Ups in Drafting Order (Engineers receiving)

Engineers - Ratchet, Mother, Colussus, Velocity, Hoist, Ballista (Plot Cards: +2" Range, double remove conditions, ??)

Alchemists - Naja, Harry, Vitriol, VKat, Compound, Midas (Plot Cards: Full move after goal, Stoic and Tough hide against a charge, momentum back from heroic)

Like I said I was convinced he was going Pin Vice, so Compound wasn't entirely necessary although he did serve as a great battery so can't really complain.

Deployment: See Below! The Kick Off consists of Vitriol setting herself up in cover for Turn 1 shenanigans, and kicking the ball centrally.

iX5aBFn.jpg

Turn 1: Colossus gets the ball, passing it to Hoist. Vitriol goes for glory, charging into Colossus, dodging into range of Hoist, tackling the ball and scoring the goal despite there still being 2 engineers in the way and no bonus time. That is two games in a row that the 2 dice kick has worked, so I'm almost due for it to fail. I plot card her out of there to the cover of the obstruction on the other side of the field. Ball gets put out to Ratchet who passes to Ballista, dodging him 4" up. Harry goes for a molotov on the both of them, but misses them both. Ballista is now in range to Legendary a goal in, and since I have yet to move Compound up, can get within 10'' of the goal, and out of Rush Keeper. He deadbolts Midas, and slots in the goal. I put the ball just in front of Midas, and set my eyes on some VKat retribution onto Ballista. We go through some counter plays to try and prevent/enable this. After Mother puts up an annoying nest marker and Hoist replicates out some rough terrain, I spend Midas's entire stack to run him into the forest, Lure of Gold VKat up, Super Shot a pass out to Vitriol, and then free 4" dodge (gotta love showboating) into melee with Ballista. VKat has to glide over the rough terrain, but gets his charge off and some good damage on Ballista, pushing him into the fire and keeping him in Midas's melee range. I was too focused on tough hide to remember the bonus damage from VKat, so while I wasn't going to kill him anyway, I suppose he should have been below 5 health.

4-4

Turn 2: I'm up 2mom after VKat does his thing, but still lost initiative. Hoist manages to get the ball away from Vitriol, but runs out of inf before he can pass it. However Colossus's long legs allow him to snap it up once Hoist unsnaps. I contemplate trying to for Midas stealing the ball from Colossus, but instead I just put my whole stack into messing with Ballista. I ignore damage results and focus on putting up Midas Touch and using them to get wraps for more momentum. 6 mom from 5 attacks. Picture is board state after that.

hydzbqM.jpg

Ratchet pushes VKat back two inches and heals Ballista. Harry walks up, lights Ratchet on fire, Knocks Ballista down, and hits Ballista a few more times. [Note to self, could have just knocked down Ratchet instead of lighting him on fire] Colossus passes the ball to Mother to try to get her in range for a Burrow Goal after she 4" dodges. He also knocks down Midas with a charge (Midas was defensive stanced and plot card against charges, but I forgot to use his Heroic, which would have made me near invincible.) VKat ignores Ballista, stands up Midas and goes in on Ratchet, bringing him down to 3. Needing Momentum, Ballista stands up ,heals, and knocks down Midas again before bringing him to half health. Vitriol takes the ball away from Mother, who tries to take it back with no luck. Naja runs over, Velocity shuffles, and Compound gets into max Rush keeper range.

4-4

Start of turn 3:

ccel6A6.jpg

I win the roll off, and feel like I've got it in the bag. Vitriol goes first, barely manages to generate a momentum off of Mother (terrible dice), before walking over and scoring a Screamer. She dodges back into the scrum just in case. Velocity is just in range to score a goal in response, Compound should have been positioned more that way I guess? I try to kill the ball by putting it on Compound on the goal kick back in, but it doesn't matter. VKat puts up Witness Me, and takes out Ratchet with his first swing. 

Game just ended:

lcr0Uan.jpg

12 (2*Vitriol Goals, Witness Me on Ratchet ) -10 (Ballista and Velocity Goals)

This team wins fast. Compound did have a non zero effect on this game, but at the same time I wonder if I had another player in there who was even more proactive in scoring points. VKat and Harry get the kill, and Midas and Vitriol are so good at scoring. Whoever would replace Compound would end up like a battery, since it is great to give out a minimum of 3 to Midas, Vitriol, Harry and VKat. So maybe he stays? 

Good first outing for VKat. Will probably be my last for atleast 2 weeks, but I hope to get out to a tournament sometime in April.

Well played, sounds like it was a text book win!

4 hours ago, burroboskov said:

Hoist manages to get the ball away from Vitriol, but runs out of inf before he can pass it. However Colossus's long legs allow him to snap it up once Hoist unsnaps.

Player can't unsnap the ball while he's engaged. Seems you've been tricked there. ;) 

5 hours ago, Sid said:

Player can't unsnap the ball while he's engaged. Seems you've been tricked there. ;) 

Right you are! Writing these up are proving to pretty useful. I can analyze my play, see mistakes I made, and have another set of eyes look over everything and catch what I miss the first (or second) time. Will keep that in mind moving forward.

I'm looking at my deployment and first turn, and wondering if I could be more specific with my game plan. I think it is decent, VKat threatens the middle, Midas too while using the forest, Harry and Compound also in the middle. Maybe Naja could be over on one side?

Also realized that I could have set up a good opportunity for a play I really like, the Turn 1 pass to Compound while in Harry aura, allowing him to dodge up to Rush Keeper early in the turn. Reminds me to be... precise with Harry placement Turn 1.

No chance for a game this week, but I'm planning to put up photos of my team in the painting section. Maybe I'll post some group shots here too. ;)

I've started a thread in the painting section for my teams, including the Alchemists featured here.

xYHQFve.jpg

Check it out right here! I'll be adding Crucible when she is painted, and will be showing the WIP as I tackle the Hunters models as well.

NBG - 4/14/17

Got in a game with a newer player, fielding Butchers who I have not played in forever. I promised myself I was going to play Smoke and since he didn't have 9 models yet we were forced to set our 6 secretly. I was chosen to receive, and we set our line ups.

Alch's - Smoke, Flask, Vitriol, Harry, Calculus, VKat

Butchers - Ox, Princess, Brisket, Boiler, Tenderizer, Meathook

Only snapped a few photos, and won't go into as much detail as my last one, but here we go!

Round 1

Ox kicks off and fails the kick. The scatter land conveniently in front of Calculus, who is able to gather it, throw poison at Ox, pass it to Smoke, and free teamwork her way into cover. We burn some activations as I durdle with flask and Harry, and he runs up Butchers. I'm left with Vitriol, Smoke and VKat. I go for an early Legendary with Smoke, who is able to put out a cloud, teleport, Legendary and breeze for 12 damage and poison on everyone but Boiler before passing the ball to Vitriol (who free teamworks up 4) and then sprinting back to where she was.

UNVecGH.jpg

I feel good about the play and the poison, but I really should have been more aggressive with her positioning. She isn't threatening the goal or anything. I then make another big mistake with targeting. VKat has range to Brisket or to Ox if he receives a pass, and Vitriol can touch basically everyone. I end up throwing them both at Brisket.

Ox is clearly the bigger threat to my models and will allow me to splash way more damage with VKat. Brisket is really his only goal threat, and easier to kill. But if I can win the brawl, the goals are easy. 

So Vit ends up passing back to Smoke, smacking Brisket, Boiler durdles up, VKat goes in hard on Brisket but leaves her on 4 (2 after poison). Ox comes into VKat, knocking him down and getting some momentum back, but I'm up on Mom and win first.

Round 2

I'm all set up for a great turn. Harry goes first, knocks down Ox, beats him up a bit and gets him off of VKat. Critically gets some Mom as well so VKat can stand up. Ox goes and returns the favor, ending up deep in my lines trying to get away from VKat.

Here is where it all goes wrong. VKat is engaged by Brisket who is on 2 health, and with 2 attacks he can't take her out, so no free charge. I move him further into the scrum so atleast boiler can't get a charge, but at this point I'm in trouble.3rXMABA.jpg

Meathook, then Princess start ganging up on the big guy, and while Vitriol tries to run interference, and Calculus misses a blind, Boiler is able to get a big old pile of damage and momentum which he is able to spend removing conditions and healing. Smoke tries to even momentum out by charging Ox and pushing him away, finally getting up the board a bit, but VKat and Harry both end the turn with 3 health. My early lead in dominating the brawl has collapsed.

Round 3

Luckily I win first activation on an even roll.

VKat strikes out at the only character left with poison, Princess! I am able to get Witness Me! off for 3 points, but it's a sad trade. 3-2 Ox then deletes Harry and puts up his Aura, so Vitirol is forced to come back and take out the heavily damaged Ox. 5-4. Meathook then beats up Vitriol. That unclearable -1 def is hard! She survives, and Smoke is able to use teleport shenanigans to get a goal. But Brisket (who survived her encounter with VKat) scores one back. 9-8. (Un)fortunately my opponent has clocked out with Brisket, brining me to 10-8. He still has Tenderizer and Boiler left in this turn, and although Boiler brings Vitriol down to 3, the game ends with Tenderizers activation.

Alchemists 12 (Smoke Goal, Ox, Princess (Witness Me), 3 from clock) - Butchers 8 (Brisket Goal, Vkat, Harry)

Had the game continued it was going to be hard for me to win. Vitriol was going to go down, so it would have been left to a returning Harry and Caculus to fight a battered Meathook and Boiler, or for Smoke to track the ball down again. I had killed the ball to make sure Boiler didn't have a chance to be a hero, but I probably needed to be a little more bold with the kick in to get it to Smoke if the clock win condition was guaranteed.

So my poor choice in target for VKat allowed dice to become a factor when VKat couldn't take out Brisket. It was a good learning experience though, VKat needs to go in, get a takeout, and witness me out. 2+ 1 arm becomes a liability fast. Also, keep threatening the ball game. By having Smoke in a better position at the end of turn 1, I could have focused on getting 2 goals instead of worrying so much about the outcome of the scrum in the middle. And I will say that I had a decent chance of evenly brawling with the butchers. If I had managed a take out or two a turn earlier I think I could have dominated the game.

I won't get a chance to play this week but I've got Cruicible on the hobby table, and a tournament on May 6th to be thinking about.

NBG - 4/20/17

Back to playing Engineers. My regular opponent, who apparently had some tactics designed just for me! Little did he know that I was bringing a one captain lineup centered around Smoke! I need to practice with her and I want to give her options.

Alch's had Smoke, Flask, Vkat, OKat, Vit, Harry, Merc, Calc, Crucible

Engi's had Ballista, Mainspring, OVelocity, VVelocity, Ratchet, Collosus, Compound, Hoist, Salvo?

Plot cards, I had Stoic/Tough Hide for a charge, Bonus for passing while engaged, and Knee slider. The only one Engi's had that I saw was Who are yah. Engi's elected to receive, and so he drafted first. Game lineups are below in drafting order.

Engineers - Ballista, Mainspring, Ratchet, VVelocity, Collosus, Compound

Alch's - Smoke, Flask, Crucible, VKat, Harry, Vitriol

I wanted to try out Crucible, and I had told myself I wasn't going to play Harry or Vit, until I did! I was pleased with the line ups, 2 tough hide isn't the worst, and with two goalies for the engineers I was ok with focusing on fighting for the first few turns and sneak in a goal for the win.

The game!

Vitriol kicked off getting herself into cover and putting the ball on my side of an obstruction. He was going to have a hard time getting to it, but unfortunately so was I.

xI09mi5.jpg

Round 1 - 

Ratchet goes first and throws out some blasted earths, pegging Vitriol but somehow missing Crucible and even Vkat! I play around with the idea of sending in Vit to get the ball, but I decide to wait. She is sometimes a better threat. Harry sprinted up and put fire on Ratchet, Compound put up horrific odor, Crucible sprinted up through the rough terrain to some cover. He went with Ballista and spent a big stack getting the ball, passing it to Compound and Second Winding to a more central position. Flask puts up a cloud, Mainspring runs, I admit to myself VKat isn't going to get to charge this turn, and he sprints to threaten next turn. VVelocity durdles by goal as well, Smoke moves up, copies Harry's AoE, and ends up with fire on all engineers but Mainspring and Compound, and then teleports back to safety of flask. Colossus trundles up, and Vitriol takes the opportunity to generate momentum off of him. It does me no good though as I get a 1, and he wins first turn!

TWGMnQ9.jpg

Round 2 - 

Compound starts by passing the ball to Ballista, who dodges up 4" to be in line with ratchet. Now I get greedy and send VKat in looking to splash some damage around, and although he takes a huge chunk out of Ratchet, he still didn't Witness me away so is now a huge target. He sets up a big scrum around VKat with Collossus (who also knocked Crucible down at some point), Ratchet and while Velocity tries to body block Ballista with push dodges, there is still a gap. With Ballista tooled up, and VKat is singled out and KD, Ballista is easily able to take him out. (0-2) Crucible is set up in a position such that he doesn't want to remove conditions, or can only afford to on Ballista. Harry saves some face, KDing Ratchet and Ballista, where the pall scatters onto Collossus who doesn't snap it! This is big I feel since Colossus is a good ball carrier, and so Smoke spends her activation getting the ball to Velocity using my plot card to ensure it. Mainspring and Flask talk mascot things. Somehow I'm up on momentum? I think my opponent could have farmed another 4 from Vkat before he killed him? Oh well, I'll take it.

Round 3 - 

VKat comes back on on the right, just in charge range of Colossus. Harry starts things off by taking out Ratchet, (2-2) and pushing Ballista 4" into range of Crucible.

90nuYAo.jpg

However since he isn't poisoned or fired, he could have spent his one momentum and had a decent activation with the captain. But he waits a turn with Compound, so I spread some posion love with Smoke's legendary, getting everyone but Compound poisoned, on fire, or both. So now Ballista has a meager activation of second wind, dead bolting Crucible away, and minefield. This allows me to set up my entire team around Colossus, who is barely able to KD harry with his activation. My opponent clocks out here, as do I after a few activations, which speeds things up, but the writing is on the wall. Vitriol is close enough to the goal that she sprint to be outside of Compound's 6 inches of bad, and even with VVelocity can get the goal. (7-2) She knee sliders back into crowding out Colossus, and VKat comes in for a pile of damage and KD. (9-4) I win the turn and...

2w3iTkU.jpg

Round 4 - 

ySQ57O6.jpg

Start with VKat who Witness Me! Colossus off the board! (13-4)

Alchemists 12 (Ratchet, Colossus (Witness Me), Vitriol Goal, Clock*2) - Engineers 4 (VKat, Clock*2)

Crucible was fun. I think my opponent had a rough turn 3 ballista activation, caused by Crucible. Her 4" dodge at end of turn is amazing! I need to work on my VKat timing, but Harry is the man of the match and saves my game. I'm feeling better with Smoke, I'm glad I holstered her legendary on turn 1 and 2. Vitriol is key like usual, she was scrumming it most of the time this game, but between her and Smoke I feel like I have a guaranteed goal at some point. Big key to this game is that I got to leverage my whole team in the mid field, while my opponent kept 2 back near the goal. Also huge shoutout to him for letting me move VKat a smidgen back out of Compound's Counter charge range at one point. It's one of those things that I got annoyed at myself for having to ask for. A lesson to learn in the game, but also in how to be a gracious opponent. Lucky to have him as a practice partner.

Rvianarpg likes this