Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ay3z1k

Newbie list advice

So I am planning on participating in my first Tourney on the 18th and while i crunch down on painting i am considering list ideas.  Here is what i am thinking for my 9:

Honour, Hammer, Wrecker, Harmony, vHarmony, Mallet, Brick, Flint, Tower

This will give me options for football or face smash teams. I really want to bring granite (love the model) but i haven't figured out how to make her work.  

Any tips on what i should cut and add?  I currently don't own any union models but might be able to get one and smash it out to be tourney playable.  Was looking at snakeskin. 

Minx or Averisse & Greede are probably the two front runners for Union choices. You don't need them but they open up some options (Furious and extra goal threat). I would strongly recommend the Kick Off lineup as your core in every game, branch out to Hammer if you know he is appropriate. So I would personally recommend Marbles (note I think Wrecker is a totally viable choice and pretty nifty!) but either is fine. I have found vHarmony to be rather lack-lustre but that could be me. 

I don't understand Granite at all but I can see synergy with Hammer (and Honour to a lesser extent), Mallet & Tower. 

That is the exact 9 I took to my last tournament.  My play style I'm better with honour but won the game I took Hammer. vHarmony is a must against alchemists and fire brewers.

Oddman likes this

I would recommend Marbles with Brick, he tunes up Honour to do terrible,  terrible things, and a double counter charge can be great, even if it just for the bonus moving of crowding outs / assists and momentum generation.

Who to remove is tough - depends on how sold you are on two captains really....personally I don't take two captains so it less of an issue.

I found in an anti-Smoke game that actually vHarmony just gets conditioned and killed. I mean 10 HP and wanting to go early in turn is...sub-optimal. I found it better to generate MOM and do it the old fashioned way - Honour to generate MOM (because she's usually fast enough to overcome being on fire) and just heal the team one by one (or clear as appropriate but usually healing is better than clearing unless near vKat). Besides Honour + oHarmony are a scoring nightmare for Alchemists (and I found quite good for the 6 point activation that removes vKat which Smoke hates). But that's just personal observation and I am definitely no expert.

On 6-3-2017 at 0:16 PM, EpicChris said:

Minx or Averisse & Greede are probably the two front runners for Union choices. You don't need them but they open up some options (Furious and extra goal threat). I would strongly recommend the Kick Off lineup as your core in every game, branch out to Hammer if you know he is appropriate. So I would personally recommend Marbles (note I think Wrecker is a totally viable choice and pretty nifty!) but either is fine. I have found vHarmony to be rather lack-lustre but that could be me. 

I don't understand Granite at all but I can see synergy with Hammer (and Honour to a lesser extent), Mallet & Tower. 

I second this. Kick Off line up is solid as rock (pun city!). On paper I think all the Union choices are legit. A&G require some table time to master but are excellent. Minx is a influence battery for Honour and Harmony. I'm going to run Decimate in my next tournament because she is a jack of all trades. 

1 hour ago, HuggyTheBear said:

I second this. Kick Off line up is solid as rock (pun city!). On paper I think all the Union choices are legit. A&G require some table time to master but are excellent. Minx is a influence battery for Honour and Harmony. I'm going to run Decimate in my next tournament because she is a jack of all trades. 

Since paper trumps rock, does this mean that Mason's vs Union is a really, really bad matchup for us? :)

I don't like playing against the Union, but I have been playing a very scoring game recently, I've won most of my last 10 games with 3goals.

An option if you have lots of Fish and Alchies in your Meta is to play Snakeskin as your Union choice.

She's improved from S2 with a Mom Dodge on 1, and still has Nimble, Shadow Like and Clone, making her difficult to steal the ball off.

Not to make your choice harder, but Wrecker is amazing. I'm finding myself taking him in more and more games. Whether your opponents are ball players or beat down brigade, he has a lot of options to bust up their shenanigans. Ramming speed pushes around gang ups, and even when he gets taken out(he probably will), he leaves a 40mm hole in your opponents line up that I can usually find a way to work to my advantage. When he comes back on the pitch he has that 6" jog and rollerball to get back into the action with no influence. Plus he's an armor-dillo. So he's got that going for him. I prefer him greatly over marbles. Though that may be because marlbes has literally never succeeded a goad in the on/off 3 years I've been playing .

I don't have too much experience with Hammer, but his oppressive pushing power has drained the light from my opponent's eyes(he's a bad man, it's okay). Having said that, I'd probably be okay with leaving him out for more choices on the roster. Honour is extremely flexible.

I'm one of those psychos who would bring Chisel in my 9 though, so take what I say with a grain of salt. ;p

I run Hammer, Wrecker, Flint, Mallet, Granite, Tower, Chisel, vHarmony, and Minx. I have had great success with this nine and I have won with 2 & 2, and with 3 goals. The only advice is to get as much practice with Hammer as you can. He's not as forgiving as Honour is in my experience. I think both captains are great and that this lineup and the kick off core team are very viable.