Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

WASandD

What advice do you have for a tournament newbie?

I'm going to my first Guild Ball tournament tomorrow and it's going to be my first time playing any game competetively.

I have no experience with clocked games and I'm pretty nervous. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm going to be running fish, I have my nine ready but I think I'll go with the six I'm most comfortable with all day.

Fermorfan likes this

Have fun, don't over-think decisions, and see what happens. Rather than go expecting to be crowned victor, go to learn how other players play and see some strategies you might not have been exposed to. Don't be disheartened if you lose. Enjoy winning. You will probably clock out - just learn from the experience to try to speed up those easy early moves and try to think on your opponent's turn, not your own. Always ensure your measurements are as accurate as you can make them (but don't waste too much time on this - just use sticks if you have them) and when rolling dice let your opponent see the results and always, always talk through your actions so that you both know what is going on "Ox attacks Siren, I need 5+'s no armour, I roll 7 dice as TAC 7" etc.

Basically - have fun, talk to people and enjoy it.

[EDIT] Oh and also - remember every single person in the room has been in your position - so they will be understanding. If you make a mistake, talk about it with your opponent - they might let you correct it (try to avoid picking up models, moving them, then deciding to move them somewhere else) but don't feel annoyed if your opponent doesn't let you take it back (it is a tournament) - take it in stride and move on. 

Example - You might charge Casket and forget he has Foul Odour so you are in rough ground 3" out and fall short. Talk with your opponent and check they are fine for you to spend momentum to Glide. If you declare an action, move the model and then find this out it is technically up to them, but I would always allow opponents to Glide if they can. Your opponent is not a monster - unless you have rolled dice or changed the board state too much I'm sure they will understand.

[EDIT again - this is going on far longer than I intended!] - Try to have the necessary tokens and ensure they are next to the appropriate models (also always put influence next to models not on cards) - your opponent needs to know what is going on to formulate their gameplan and if there isn't a token it can lead to awkward conversations - so try to keep these clear.

WASandD, Rvianarpg, Chinos and 2 others like this

Which tournament are you going to? I've got my first Guild Ball tournament tomorrow as well. but I'm entering because I want to play more Guild Ball, not because I'm expecting to do particularly well. 

I've not played Guild Ball with a clock, but I have played other games using one. Just relax, ignore the the time on the clock and have fun. If the time runs out, it'll run out, don't let it pressure you into making bad decisions.

WASandD likes this

30 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

Have fun, don't over-think decisions, and see what happens. Rather than go expecting to be crowned victor, go to learn how other players play and see some strategies you might not have been exposed to. Don't be disheartened if you lose. Enjoy winning. You will probably clock out - just learn from the experience to try to speed up those easy early moves and try to think on your opponent's turn, not your own. Always ensure your measurements are as accurate as you can make them (but don't waste too much time on this - just use sticks if you have them) and when rolling dice let your opponent see the results and always, always talk through your actions so that you both know what is going on "Ox attacks Siren, I need 5+'s no armour, I roll 7 dice as TAC 7" etc.

Basically - have fun, talk to people and enjoy it.

[EDIT] Oh and also - remember every single person in the room has been in your position - so they will be understanding. If you make a mistake, talk about it with your opponent - they might let you correct it (try to avoid picking up models, moving them, then deciding to move them somewhere else) but don't feel annoyed if your opponent doesn't let you take it back (it is a tournament) - take it in stride and move on. 

Example - You might charge Casket and forget he has Foul Odour so you are in rough ground 3" out and fall short. Talk with your opponent and check they are fine for you to spend momentum to Glide. If you declare an action, move the model and then find this out it is technically up to them, but I would always allow opponents to Glide if they can. Your opponent is not a monster - unless you have rolled dice or changed the board state too much I'm sure they will understand.

[EDIT again - this is going on far longer than I intended!] - Try to have the necessary tokens and ensure they are next to the appropriate models (also always put influence next to models not on cards) - your opponent needs to know what is going on to formulate their gameplan and if there isn't a token it can lead to awkward conversations - so try to keep these clear.

Wow. Thank you! I'm fully expecting to list every match, I'm going to get more games under my belt then anything else, really looking forward to seeing how clocks affect the game. 

Thank you for all this advice, I'll definitely follow it all!

25 minutes ago, ningu said:

Which tournament are you going to? I've got my first Guild Ball tournament tomorrow as well. but I'm entering because I want to play more Guild Ball, not because I'm expecting to do particularly well. 

I've not played Guild Ball with a clock, but I have played other games using one. Just relax, ignore the the time on the clock and have fun. If the time runs out, it'll run out, don't let it pressure you into making bad decisions.

I'm heading to Leeds Frosty Ball(s), you? That's pretty much my thinking aswell.

Thanks, I'm thinking I'd rather run out of time than rush into bad decisions!

Relax and have fun. That's the biggest tip I can give. 

The other thing is like Chris said, talk to your opponent and the TO.  If you aren't sure, ask. 

If in the unlikely situation you feel your opponent is leading you astray, ask for a pundit.  I've yet to have it in one of my events (thankfully) but it does happen unfortunately. 

And good luck, don't get down on yourself if you get the wooden spoon. 

FearLord likes this

19 minutes ago, WASandD said:

I'm heading to Leeds Frosty Ball(s), you? That's pretty much my thinking aswell.

Thanks, I'm thinking I'd rather run out of time than rush into bad decisions!

Hunter's Prey in Staines. Good luck tomorrow! :)

WASandD likes this

For clocked games, try and think about what you're going to do next while your opponent is on the clock. While your opponent is putting their influence down, work out who needs to be fully stacked, who needs to do one specific thing, and so on.

Have your tokens, influence, templates, and player cards close to hand. Try to keep things in the same location all the time. Don't spend clock time looking for your scatter template.

If a measurement is particularly close or complicated, don't be afraid to use proxy bases, measuring sets, and so on. It should only come up once or so per game, and it's usually worth the five minutes to work out exactly where you want to be. 

Read your opponent's cards. Write down anything (particularly traits) you might get caught out by. Unpredictable Movement, Counter Charge, Gluttonous Mass, particularly good counterattacks, exceptional damage output, long threat range (on attacks and on goal), ways of slowing your players down  (rough ground, burning, Blind). You won't be able to juggle everything, but it's good to have notes. If you get caught out by something, note down what player did it to you so you can more easily play around it in future.

WASandD likes this

1 minute ago, Gauntlet said:

For clocked games, try and think about what you're going to do next while your opponent is on the clock. While your opponent is putting their influence down, work out who needs to be fully stacked, who needs to do one specific thing, and so on.

Have your tokens, influence, templates, and player cards close to hand. Try to keep things in the same location all the time. Don't spend clock time looking for your scatter template.

If a measurement is particularly close or complicated, don't be afraid to use proxy bases, measuring sets, and so on. It should only come up once or so per game, and it's usually worth the five minutes to work out exactly where you want to be. 

Read your opponent's cards. Write down anything (particularly traits) you might get caught out by. Unpredictable Movement, Counter Charge, Gluttonous Mass, particularly good counterattacks, exceptional damage output, long threat range (on attacks and on goal), ways of slowing your players down  (rough ground, burning, Blind). You won't be able to juggle everything, but it's good to have notes. If you get caught out by something, note down what player did it to you so you can more easily play around it in future.

Thank you. I was thinking about taking a notepad but didn't know if it was a bit overkill, think I will take one.

4 hours ago, WASandD said:

Wow. Thank you! I'm fully expecting to list every match, I'm going to get more games under my belt then anything else, really looking forward to seeing how clocks affect the game. 

This is the best attitude to have, just relax and try to learn from each game. Don't let the clock stress you--in many games it won't end up mattering. As long as you approach each game attentively, you might accidentally start winning stuff. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of dorks getting together to play Guild Ball slightly faster and cleaner than usual. :D

rozyncrantz and Fermorfan like this

I started going to tournaments last year, and enjoyed every one. 

Some tournament scenes can be a bit heavy going, but I've found on the whole that GB players are a friendly and forgiving bunch. I played two casual games before attending my first tournament games and found that the differing styles of play in competitive games helped me to learn a lot. I explained I was new to each opponent, apologised in advance for any errors and made clear they would be made in ignorance!

Out of 20+ tourney games last year I had one impatient so and so, and one person I wouldn't play again. Not bad odds.

The clock comes into play with certain characters who have a lot of influence to spend or lengthy plays. I've only clocked out three times. Study your characters first and foremost. Have a general idea about what your opponent's players are capable of. And ask which ones have unpredictable movement before charging in!

If it's Frosty Balls you're heading to then you're in luck. The organiser is a good chap, and some of the players on the list are the nicest people I've played against. You might lose all your games (I think I did), but that means you'll slip down the tables to play people with similar experience.

I wish I was going. Enjoy!

Headed to the first one out of my local scene / where I don't know the organizers. Any kind of checklist one would want to go over the night before?

-Models

-Dice

-Templates

-Spare bases for proxy measurement

-Tape measure

-Tokens

-Cards (players and plots)

-Entry fee pinned to my shirt so I don't lose it

Anything I am missing that might help someone else too?

EDIT: Glue

Deodorant (you're packing it but it is for the sake of all)

34 minutes ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

Headed to the first one out of my local scene / where I don't know the organizers. Any kind of checklist one would want to go over the night before?

-Models

-Dice

-Templates

-Tape measure

-Tokens

Markers if you need them.

Drinks/Snacks.

I like to keep glue on me in case stuff breaks.

Markers! I don't even remember those at the store I play.

Speaking of glue, I'm not worried about most of the ones I'll go to but are people sticklers about stuff that pops off as it technically not "completely assembled" at that point? I cannot imagine anyone getting to that level of petty but I guess if no one asks no one knows. Played several other minis games and that has never been an issue before.

Most people are forgiving if you break a model while you're there (or rather, I've never seen it be an issue anywhere, even in competitive WM/H).  You'll just feel better if you can fix it between matches, or if the model actually pops off its base you'll be able to get it back in action.

People are pretty forgiving in my experience as well. I'd rather play someone with an unpainted or broken model than see them sent home and have to suffer a bye.

So long as the model is recognisably the model it's supposed to be it should be fine. 

18 hours ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

-Models

-Dice

-Templates

-Tape measure

-Tokens

- Deodorant. And no I'm not kidding :).  

2 minutes ago, HuggyTheBear said:

- Deodorant. And no I'm not kidding :).  

I've never understood that. I sweat when I focus. I am aware of it. I take the measures to prevent it from being someone else's problem. Anyone who frequents a game store knows that is not a universal consideration though. I'll put it on my checklist above.

6 minutes ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

I've never understood that. I sweat when I focus. I am aware of it. I take the measures to prevent it from being someone else's problem. Anyone who frequents a game store knows that is not a universal consideration though. I'll put it on my checklist above.

If you never have been to a tournament you might get caught out by the kind of focus and energy drain it can be. 

2 minutes ago, HuggyTheBear said:

If you never have been to a tournament you might get caught out by the kind of focus and energy drain it can be. 

I used to be really big into X-wing and went to Gencon and Adepticon so I am pretty familiar with how taxing it can be but this is another excellent point for folks newer to minis and big tournaments. You really do feel drained after a 6 hour + session with only time between rounds to rest. Fortunately, there are magical and restorative properties to a really big beer.

4 hours ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

Markers! I don't even remember those at the store I play.

Speaking of glue, I'm not worried about most of the ones I'll go to but are people sticklers about stuff that pops off as it technically not "completely assembled" at that point? I cannot imagine anyone getting to that level of petty but I guess if no one asks no one knows. Played several other minis games and that has never been an issue before.

I don't think you'll come across someone who is that petry and if you do they aren't an enjoyable type of person. But it helps if a model fall off its base. Or if a small part falls off and you are worried you might lose it. I actally always carry glue, no just to tournaments. I'm excited for one piece plastic lol.