Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Sign in to follow this  
Goreshde

S3, Who do you kickoff with

Captain is the standard one. Both of them have large threat ranges and can dominate whole sections of the board if they start off with some extra distance.

I've been experimenting with kicking off with Graves1, especially if opposite fast terrain. 

Kick up one flank with the option of punting ball slightly across to centre depending on where their likely ball retriever is.

So far he's got the ball back and scored, pushed a couple of players off and held up Honour and Harmony for 2 turns. (Admittedly helped by appalling Mason dice rolling!).

If he lurks on the fast ground and his target is wounded - Fireblast is good for this - he can threaten 13".

This isn't necessarily a recommended tactic - I've just always loved Graves and like throwing him right into people's faces :)

Ghast or obulus. 

I actually prefer kicking with obulus in a lot of matchups. Give him 6-7, move up, kick straight and hold his activation until they feed the ball to their first turn goal threat. Then dodge, walk/sprint, pm, legendary and hopefully score. Then you win initiative and send the ferryman to retrieve the kick out and do it again or send to ball back towards mist/a&g or bonesaw and get ready to do it all again

If I think there is a chance to score and get away or If there are any weak but dangerous players likely to collect the ball: Scalpel. 

If my opponent wants to pass the ball about to generate momentum or is really tied into activation order: Silence. 

I like to kick off with Cosset. She has a big threat range and a lot of the people I play don't like the idea of moving into her threat range. 

Obulus or Scalpel everytime. You want a model that threatens a lot and also if possible hard to deal with. You are offering up one player so make it one who is awkward for your opponent.

Obulus is amazing as a kick off choice. He is a pain for your opponent to engage and deal with and he threatens a lot of their table edge with Puppet Master. Puppet Master can be used to bring players into your half or steal the ball back. Or you can stick Tooled Up on him and dive in near the end of turn 1. The later you can hold the activation the better(to steal momentum if required for example).

I recently came to the realization that kicking off with Ghast or Casket (which had been my previous inclination) wasn't nearly as impactful as kicking with Scalpel.

I'm a primarily Scalpel Morts player, and I tried kicking off with her for the first time this week to find that she presented a huge takeout/goal threat to my Brewers opponent. He recovered the kickoff with Vet Spigot, passed to Friday and had to make the decision to either keep the momentum or dodge way back behind his own deployment line. I felt completely in control, regardless of his decision - if he stays put, I can charge in and make my move on the goal; if he dodges back, he's pulling his central striker away from my goal (and I can still jog into Spigot for easy momentum).

In the end, he decided to stay put. Scalpel moved in, generated a bucket of momentum and scored - then dodged into a position where only Friday with a couple influence could reach her.

5 hours ago, OneDayWordsmith said:

I recently came to the realization that kicking off with Ghast or Casket (which had been my previous inclination) wasn't nearly as impactful as kicking with Scalpel.

I'm a primarily Scalpel Morts player, and I tried kicking off with her for the first time this week to find that she presented a huge takeout/goal threat to my Brewers opponent. He recovered the kickoff with Vet Spigot, passed to Friday and had to make the decision to either keep the momentum or dodge way back behind his own deployment line. I felt completely in control, regardless of his decision - if he stays put, I can charge in and make my move on the goal; if he dodges back, he's pulling his central striker away from my goal (and I can still jog into Spigot for easy momentum).

In the end, he decided to stay put. Scalpel moved in, generated a bucket of momentum and scored - then dodged into a position where only Friday with a couple influence could reach her.

Neat!

It's depending on my enemy team. Most of the time I like to kick with Scalpel for a first activation goal, if the enemy underestimate her or simple threating everything else.

If I have Casket vs. slow teams, I like to kick with him, because he soak up so much energy from the enemy to deal with.

If I have to play vs. Fisherwaleteam I like to kick with Dirge, because he's not worth to deal with and it's unevitable that otherwise he would drag an important player.

Otherwise I kick with Obulus. ;)