Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

340 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Ragnara said:

When you push an enemy, you decide on which adjacent node farther away from you he's getting pushed to.

And the assassin...it's like a..."He already did that" kind of move. You roll for dodge, if you succeed you can activate the ability and basically retroactively decide that your assassin stabbed the enemy right before he left the node.

He still has to be in range though. So if you evade the attack of a sentinel from one node away while wielding a 0 range weapon, you can't hit him with this attack. Not even if you move into his node, I'd say, because you execute the attack before dodging.

With addition of red part, all correct if you ask me! :)

7 minutes ago, Replect said:

With addition of red part, all correct if you ask me! :)

I just noticed I've been doing my research out of the old version of the rulebook the whole time.

Hi there, I'm sorry if I happened to miss this, but I looked through the whole thread and didn't see any mention of range on enemies with bows and polearms.

On page 23 of the rulebook, it explains the Shaft icon under Character Activation as "Bows and polearms are difficult to use effectively at short range. Weapons with the Shaft icon cannot be used against targets at Range 0."

Does this also apply to enemies and bosses with these kinds of weapons? I've been operating under the assumption that it does, especially since the example weapon right next to the above explanation is the Dragonslayer Spear, but I would really appreciate a clarification.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Lasor said:

Hi there, I'm sorry if I happened to miss this, but I looked through the whole thread and didn't see any mention of range on enemies with bows and polearms.

On page 23 of the rulebook, it explains the Shaft icon under Character Activation as "Bows and polearms are difficult to use effectively at short range. Weapons with the Shaft icon cannot be used against targets at Range 0."

Does this also apply to enemies and bosses with these kinds of weapons? I've been operating under the assumption that it does, especially since the example weapon right next to the above explanation is the Dragonslayer Spear, but I would really appreciate a clarification.

Thanks!

I don't think it does! But I'm not sure, honestly. I think the icon would need to be on the enemy attack

Ashraam likes this

29 minutes ago, Archangel said:

I don't think it does! But I'm not sure, honestly. I think the icon would need to be on the enemy attack

Yeah, that icon exists specifically to point out attacks that can't be used at range 0. So if the icon doesn't appear then a range 0 attack is okay.

41 minutes ago, Ashraam said:

Yeah, that icon exists specifically to point out attacks that can't be used at range 0. So if the icon doesn't appear then a range 0 attack is okay.

I'd like to understand the reason behind this. Why wouldn't enemies have this same restriction?

I can't really speak to specific boss attacks having this as I haven't done much boss fighting, but it doesn't exactly seem balanced that a Sentinel can attack with a halberd at range 0, but a player can't. I understand that enemies are controlled by behaviour cards and not players, but they have the same action limitations as the players.

If I remember correctly from the video games, enemies with lootable weapons had the same moveset for that weapon as players did, so the above restriction doesn't seem to translate properly either.

Although now that I write that, perhaps giving players an increased moveset but restricting range, while giving enemies a limited moveset but increased range is their way of balancing?

6 minutes ago, Lasor said:

I'd like to understand the reason behind this. Why wouldn't enemies have this same restriction?

I can't really speak to specific boss attacks having this as I haven't done much boss fighting, but it doesn't exactly seem balanced that a Sentinel can attack with a halberd at range 0, but a player can't. I understand that enemies are controlled by behaviour cards and not players, but they have the same action limitations as the players.

If I remember correctly from the video games, enemies with lootable weapons had the same moveset for that weapon as players did, so the above restriction doesn't seem to translate properly either.

Although now that I write that, perhaps giving players an increased moveset but restricting range, while giving enemies a limited moveset but increased range is their way of balancing?

Because it would be super cheesable if that were the case with enemies, I suppose

Lasor likes this

9 minutes ago, Lasor said:

I get where you're coming from, but there's only so much they can do with board game AI on a single card. If they were controlled by a person, or perhaps had more intricate move sets then I think what you're saying could be the case. However, they can only restrict the enemies so much before they become "cheesable" as Archangel says.

Archangel and Lasor like this

8 hours ago, Lasor said:

Sentinels can also smash your face in with their shields, or do a swiping attack, so there's that. And silver knight archers also come equipped with swords in the game, so just imagine as long as you're close to them, they use their swords to whack you. Wouldn't even be surprised if they just started to stab you to death with the arrows in close combat.

As stated, enemies can always attack at range 0 basically. And the Sentinel actually would never run into the situation where he attacks with you on it's node, since it pushes before it attacks (and If I remember correctly the items/upgrades that resullt in you being immune to pushes is only related to attacks, isn't it?). Anyway, as long as you don't find that shaft icon on an enemy card, the enemy will be able to attack at range 0, which currently means: All enemies can attack at range 0.

Lasor likes this

On 5/9/2017 at 0:11 PM, Replect said:

"When a character chooses to dodge while on a boss’s node, they can ignore the normal rules for boss arcs and instead move to any arc or onto any adjacent node."

Dodging onto the boss's node needs me to stay in the same arc or same as above when on the boss's node? Just wondering if it really just works in one direction...

Was this question ever clarified?  If dodging into a boss from an outside node, can the character choose which arc it lands in?

1 minute ago, YrNotYrKhakis said:

Was this question ever clarified?  If dodging into a boss from an outside node, can the character choose which arc it lands in?

Yes, I haven't been surprised... This was the official response:

"It works the way it says it does in the rules.

When you roll towards a boss, you reach the boss from the direction you rolled from. When you're already under the boss's feet, you have more tactical flexibility of what direction to roll."

So, no, dodging only gives you that freedom if you dodge while being on the boss's node...

On 5/5/2017 at 11:42 AM, Replect said:

If I attack an enemy with a bleed token on it, while my attack beside a dice attack adds bleed. The bleed token on the enemy will trigger assuming I make any damage, it will be removed and then after that the bleed on my weapon triggers, so I can place the bleed token again right away, correct?

On 5/5/2017 at 1:10 PM, DC said:

Correct.

So to clarify, if I attack an enemy with my Blood Gem'd weapon on each of my activations (say it's a solo run for simplicity), the bleed will resolve each turn (as opposed to every other turn)?

23 minutes ago, scifidownbeat said:

So to clarify, if I attack an enemy with my Blood Gem'd weapon on each of my activations (say it's a solo run for simplicity), the bleed will resolve each turn (as opposed to every other turn)?

Bleed resolves immediately if they take damage while they have a Bleed token. So assuming you deal damage each turn, you'll trigger the Bleed, which removes the token and deals the extra damage, then your weapon reapplies the Bleed so it'll be there again the next time the enemy is damaged.

scifidownbeat likes this

Basically, the first time you attack an enemy, bleed won't trigger, since it's the moment you apply bleed the first time. Every following Blood Gem'd weapon attack that makes at least 1 damage, means the previously applied bleed token will trigger and you'll apply bleed again right after that... And so on...