Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Sign in to follow this  
Arcueid

Tile placement

Hello all !

Thank you SFG for having released a first version of the rulebook.

That's a great think to have it, in order to understand rules before game arrives in our houses.

I'm a bit upset about tile placement. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but previously, tiles were discovered during exploration progression.

For each encounter card drawn, a new tile was placed, giving lot of surprises in exploration.

Some time a boss could even be discovered at the first tile ! (like in DS1, when player open the first great wooden door and discover a boss behind).

Instead, in this rulebook version, encounter decks are separated, as well as bosses, so players knows tile placement and encounter difficulties.

Why do this choice have been made ?

Best regards,

Alex.

They explained this in a Kickstarter update :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/posts/1734658

Basically it was a bit boring and ruined the flow of the game, based on the playtester feedback they got. Also, once they introduced the ability to lose (via sparks) losing a spark because you unknowingly entered a boss room was seen as unfair, which isn't the Dark Souls way. Particularly as the vast majority of bosses in the games are clearly signposted. 

Another small tile tweak is that you place the tiles when you set up the game rather than placing them as you play through. We recognized the building-as-you-go approach didn’t add to the Dark Souls experience, so we removed it. This was a huge focus of our playtesting; rules and mechanics needed to bring the Dark Souls video game experience to the board. Any that didn’t pull their weight simply had to go. 

8 minutes ago, Goseki said:

Basically it was a bit boring and ruined the flow of the game, based on the playtester feedback they got. Also, once they introduced the ability to lose (via sparks) losing a spark because you unknowingly entered a boss room was seen as unfair, which isn't the Dark Souls way. Particularly as the vast majority of bosses in the games are clearly signposted.

Hi, thank you for your answer.

Adding 1 spark would help player in case they confront mini-boss or boss in an early tile ?

It could do yeah, you're of course free to house rule! I just think it was a feature that sounds interesting on paper but was uninteresting to their playtesters. 

Yes I could, only if encounter cards were the same ;)

Now it looks like a bit more difficult.

I understand it is not an exploration game, but discovering maps is part of the video game.

When I heard about this feature, I instantly were excited about this game. Since I'm ready lot of posts, blogs and information about the game !

If you have another idea to get it back, please let me know.

You already know the way it used to work (blind draw, no sparks). Try that idea to get it back.

As he said, house rules are great for making those little tweaks to customize the game to your liking.

I farmed for ages for a few rare drops here and there in the video games and can easily see myself dropping the spark idea sometimes in order to rerun a fun dungeon draw for a particular armor drop. (I killed so many turtle knights trying to get the Catarina set in DS2... never got the pants.)

You can just flip a tile and an encounter card with the current rules exploring as you go along with pretty much no difference to the rules.

As long as the last tile is the boss tile always it would be no problem whatsoever.

Im planning to do so just to get the "exploration feeling". As long as the encounter deck is made up with the cards listed on the boss it would be no problem.