Sign in to follow this  
Steamforged

Dark Souls™ - The Board Game Core Rulebook Downloand

Hello Unkindled!

We’re happy to announce we are releasing the PDF version of the Core game rulebook. We’d hoped to have it available before Christmas but unfortunately the approval for publishing it free online only came through yesterday. The link can be found below for you all to download for free and have a read through, we’re extremely proud of how the rulebook has turned out and we hope you all like what you see!

Click here for download

ClickC

Good morning @Steamforged,

while we are all (un)patiently waiting to get the game in our hands - the waiting game is more horrific the closer it gets - any chance you find time (I know, I know...) to upload the latest rulebook version (at least in english) so we can distract ourselves with taking in all that stuff etc.?

I know the one to download is not the latest, because your good guy Alex did let us know about the "print version" in another thread:

On 7.4.2017 at 0:56 PM, alxndrhll said:

All of the previously made clarifications are in the print version of the book (I have it infront of me), I'll chase up trying to get the final version (in all languages if I can) uploaded but everything is extremely busy at the moment (as I'm sure you can understand).

With optimism I say, thank you in advance! :)

Steven alias Replect

PS.: As a thank you and probably motivation to update your website (with the latest rulebook), I let you know about a little issue on your DS website! (The text about equipment, armour, and weapons is there twice :))

"Equipment, armour, and weapons are discovered or earned during play, but with limited slots players must think carefully about what is best to keep and use. Using a simple stamina management system, players can potentially leave themselves exhausted and vulnerable. Death is usually swift to follow a poor decision in combat."

Wohoo! Either I was quicker than SFG able to inform us, or they made a stealth update (because of my request earlier today - I dunno)?

But they uploaded the final rulebook on http://steamforged.com/dark-souls incl. other languages:

http://steamforged.com/s/DS-Core-Rules-lores.pdf
http://steamforged.com/s/DS-Core-Rules-FR-lores.pdf
http://steamforged.com/s/DS-Core-Rules-DE-lores.pdf
http://steamforged.com/s/DS-Core-Rules-IT-lores.pdf
http://steamforged.com/s/DS-Core-Rules-ES-lores.pdf

I think you get what is what language! :)

Thank you, SFG! Much appreciated! :)

And yet... I'm still missing anything about getting a free rest after defeating a mini-boss encounter. Nothing on page 9, and I otherwise can't think where the rule might be. Everything else looks good, but some clarification would be great please?

Edit: Found it! Page 15: Resting at the Bonfire. Cheers SF! Thoroughly looking forward to this.

I'm a spanish backer and i wish i would have ordered an english copy. The translation is awful. Almost each phrase has grammatical errors and senseless words. It is pretty clear that the translator has very little knowledge of the spanish language, it seems he has used google translator.

Would be possible to adquire an english copy for the printed components? because the spanish components are useless.

The german version is not as horrible (not even close) as italian and spanish seems to be, but there are at least a good dozen typos and such... If the actual game materials (boards & cards) are free of any text errors and incorrect translations rule vise, I'm good, since those are the things I'll look at regularly after all, otherwise I would be bothered by this each time I'm looking at these... This little things really quick take away also the feel of having a high quality game on the table, so I hope it won't happen!

3 hours ago, Norintha said:

Changes appear on pages 4, 6, 15, 17, 21, 23, 25, 28, and 30. Besides all the pictures in the document being blurry. 

What is the nature of the changes? Just clarifying statements/moving words around or did they change actual rules?

7 minutes ago, scifidownbeat said:

What is the nature of the changes? Just clarifying statements/moving words around or did they change actual rules?

Some of them are minor terminology changes, such as on pages 4 and 6; while others have the rule clarifications mentioned in the other thread. Pushes having to be away from mini bosses/bosses and getting a free bonfire after minibosses among other things. The change on page 30 is the only altered picture and highlights another possible move option the character could move to.

They removed 2 of the rule books that were horribly translated... Looks like a couple people are about to lose their jobs as translators XD

...but then again if i claimed to be a translator and just tossed words into google translate i probably shouldn't have the job in the first place. lol

French Rulebook, there is a typo p.17, in difficulty paragraph : 

"(Niveau 1, 2 ou 36)"

should be replaced by :

"(Niveau 1, 2 ou 3)" ?

I believe that the spanish and italian versions are bad and just had a look into the german version:
I think it's okay-ish, there are some typos and grammatical errors, but it's still comprehensible. However it's nowhere near how I imagined it to be. The cards in the rulebook are still in english (page 26 for example: unpredictable onslaught) and I think you can feel that this translation was made by someone who translated it sentence by sentence without a great knowledge of boardgames and/or Dark Souls.

However I will be okay with the german version for the beginning, but still hope that SFG will give the people who want it a free upgrade pack to english, if this is the final version. 

As far I read (but quickly), french rulebook looks correctly translated and easy to read. Thanks SFG !

As reported Cha0s_lord from KS comment page, campaign section seems to be literally translated : all character names should remain in English for campaign section.

18 minutes ago, Hampel said:

However I will be okay with the german version for the beginning, but still hope that SFG will give the people who want it a free upgrade pack to english, if this is the final version. 

While I agree in general, I wouldn't go that far to say they should give us a free upgrade pack to english - at least not if you mean in addition, and not as an actual replacement.

They should offer a free replacement for corrected versions or a replacement to an english version (or language pack with only text materials), but an actual upgrade pack to english in the sense of keeping anything else and getting this in addition, I would understand if they would offer such a thing for 5-10 pounds (another way smaller KS - Vast The Crystal Caverns - offered such language upgrade packs with all cards, boards and paper in different languages as an add-on for 10$).

@Replect: I agree with you, either a corretion of the german version or a replacement to english would be fine for me as well

I can't understand this situation. Probably Steamforged trusted in the wrong translating company, but there are control tests to see if everything is OK, specially when we are talking about a license like Darksiders. 

Having the boardgame almost finished and ready to launch (my status is Answered right now) I can't believe that we are living this situation. I just wanted to know if there is a way to change my version of the game to an english one. I rather playing in spanish (specially because the people Im going to play with) but with this translations I don't want to.

I don't like signing up to a Forum just to complain, but this translation issue really bugs me.

I can't even get past the introduction text without switching from german to english every two seconds because they didn't even translate stuff like the First Flame or the Age of Ancients, Flame of Chaos and so on.

And bonfire is translated as campfire, oh my goodness.

So I hit up the company that stepped up to translate the rules and I promptly got an email back, saying that they wanted to translate everything, but were specifically told not to. Because of reasons.

The videogames are translated completely as well, so I don't see the problem with the boardgame.

This probably isn't even your guys fault, but I just had to get this out. Especially now that my order is locked and I can't switch to the english version anymore.

Cheers, anyhow.

That makes it sound like SFG uploaded the wrong files? Get back the translated minus proper nouns and jargon version then use the HOPEFULLY Namco supplied list of canon names and jargon translations, pop those in yourselves and Bob's your uncle. Except they didn't upload the one with the jargon and nouns translated. At least that is my optimistic take of it all.

5 minutes ago, Norintha said:

That makes it sound like SFG uploaded the wrong files? Get back the translated minus proper nouns and jargon version then use the HOPEFULLY Namco supplied list of canon names and jargon translations, pop those in yourselves and Bob's your uncle. Except they didn't upload the one with the jargon and nouns translated. At least that is my optimistic take of it all.

Like I said, I mailed the guys who did (or were suppsed to do, at least) the german Translation. And they were told not to translate any of the names.

1 minute ago, Ragnara said:

Like I said, I mailed the guys who did (or were suppsed to do, at least) the german Translation. And they were told not to translate any of the names.

Yes that is why I think that the thing I said is true.

Namco likely contractually obligated SFG to use certain pre approved translations for the names and jargon, so to make inserting them easier they tell the translators not to touch them. Then when the files get back SFG would insert them in themselves, to be sure the contractual obligations were followed. Someone flubs up and puts the incomplete document up. Again at least that is the best case scenario I can imagine. 

I think it will stay like this, Frank also said in the Kickstarter comments, that he thinks, that the non-translation of the names turns out quite good in his copy, which means that the printed rulebook has also non-translated names.

What I'm worrying more about is that the pictures in the rulebook show the english cards and the explanation is in german, so it doesn't match and you can't find the explained words on the cards.

I hope they will also have an option for the german (and french) backers to update the rulebook (and cards) or switch to the english version.

Right now I'm afraid it was the wrong choice to take the german version... 

@Steamforged For me anything is kind of fine as long as the cards and boards are flawless (I don't mind the english card names, I mean the special ability text on AI and some item cards and such). If that's not free of errors, I really would like to have a replacement for an english verson, but I can't tell until I've seen it, so...

Independent of that, I would like to understand the following:

1. Will the PM be re-opened before wave 2 to add more things? I would consider adding an english "Souls Pledge", for the sake of flexibility, considering I don't feel like I need a replacement like mentioned above and considering I'm enjoying the game after all (I certainly hope so, yet alone because I'm All-In with Expansions)!
  2. Will the Scretch Goals and Mega Bosses be multilingual? In backerkit it's showing "Dark Souls - The Board Game - Core Game (German)", "Dark Souls - The Board Game - Stretch Goals (German/Multilingual)"  and for the Mega Bosses only "Mega Boss Expansions - [Boss name]". So, I'm not sure how to interpret these for the SGs and Expansions...

Thanks a lot!

Replect

34 minutes ago, Norintha said:

Yes that is why I think that the thing I said is true.

Namco likely contractually obligated SFG to use certain pre approved translations for the names and jargon, so to make inserting them easier they tell the translators not to touch them. Then when the files get back SFG would insert them in themselves, to be sure the contractual obligations were followed. Someone flubs up and puts the incomplete document up. Again at least that is the best case scenario I can imagine. 

If that were the case, then I don't think Ulisses would have pulled all advertisement from their site.

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing any Dark Souls-related info in their Website, but that dispute was the reason.

It doesn't ruin the game for me...not entirely, but I disliked it when GW did it with Warhammer and I dislike it even more now. It just takes me out of the experience.

Like... The three Fürsten went out to fight the Immerwährenden Drachen, during the Zeitalter der Altvorderen, using the power of the Erste Flamme.

Just noticed in the german version the translation on page 19 is a bit unlucky concerning the amount of souls you get from defeating a boss.

It reads less like 1 soul per character times sparks, but rather 1 soul per character and spark.

Which would leave a group of four people with 2 sparks at 6 souls instead of 8.