Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Steamforged

Coaches Wanted for Glorious Journey - US Regionals

32 posts in this topic

Guild Ball is a sport for the masses, where glory is won and lost with the kick of a ball. Each season, new coaches emerge and forge their path to greatness. Compelled by the call of the pitch and the promise of glory, one of these coaches will earn the title of World Champion. Whoever you are, know this: your journey begins today. Are you ready?

championship.png

We have big news today for our Guild Ball community: your journey to glory, fame, and amazing prizes begins now with the 2017 North American Guild Ball™ Regional Championships!

In response to the rapid growth of the North American Guild Ball community, we’re proud to introduce a new regional system for 2017. This new tournament system will help us bring the vast communities of Guild Ball coaches together to celebrate the Guild Ball legends who walk among us!

This new system is made up of a series of tournaments that let the winners of each region face off on the pitch to put their skills to the test! Here’s what the path to the title of Guild Ball World Champion looks like for 2017:

GB-US-Regionals-Pyramid.jpg

As you can see, your competitive journey to a Regional Championship starts at your local game store with a Regional Qualifier. Winning one of these events will guarantee you a place in a Regional Championship.

To get one step closer to the World Championship, you next need to win a Regional Championship, which would give you automatic entry to the North American Championship. The final step toward international acclaim and prestige is the World Championship. Once we have confirmed the locations and dates for the North American Championship and the World Championship, we will release more details! (These championships are likely to be held at either SteamCon USA and/or SteamCon UK.)

SteamCon-logo1-USA.png

There are six Regional Championships scheduled throughout the year at various North American gaming conventions, giving you plenty of chances to compete!

They are:

• *Las Vegas Open February 3–5
  • AdeptiCon March 23–26
  • Southern Ontario Open  May 5–7
  • Texas Games Con June 2–4
  • MOM Con June 26–28
  • NOVA Open August 31 – September 3

GLORY, PRIZES, AND INTERNATIONAL ACCLAIM AWAIT!

Each Regional Qualifier and Regional Championship will be stocked full of awesome and exclusive prizes. To top it off, the winner of each Regional Championship will receive free entry to SteamCon USA and automatic entry to the North American Championship Finals. Specific prize details will be announced as we get closer to each event.

WHEN AND WHERE ARE REGIONAL QUALIFIERS?

We’re currently looking for them! Applications opened today, so if you think your local game store would be a perfect fit, please encourage them to apply at http://steamforged.com/regional-qualifier-applications. If you or someone in your community is running a local event or convention, you are also welcome to apply. (No game clubs will be considered for these events due to the resources needed to accommodate each qualifier! If you have an active club, we recommend coordinating with a local game store.)

CANADIAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

The Canadian National Championship will take place at Attack-X in British Columbia in September. More details on that event will come in future blogs.

Arkin and naiconn1981 like this

What and where is MOM Con?  I can only find a convention for mothers in Milwaukee (I think).  I don't think that's the one.

12 minutes ago, Silversmith said:

What and where is MOM Con?  I can only find a convention for mothers in Milwaukee (I think).  I don't think that's the one.

I believe it's Muse on Minis con.

This announcement has me slightly confused...

What do you (SFG) mean by North American Championship? Is there gonna be separate American and Canadian championships for the World C or just a single NA one covering both countries?

And am I to understand that SOO (a Canadian venue) will host an American Championship qualifier?

:wacko: (I'm just trying to make sense of all this... I better start playing games soon if I want this all to ever be remotely relevant, lol)

20 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

This announcement has me slightly confused...

What do you (SFG) mean by North American Championship? Is there gonna be separate American and Canadian championships for the World C or just a single NA one covering both countries?

And am I to understand that SOO (a Canadian venue) will host an American Championship qualifier?

:wacko: (I'm just trying to make sense of all this... I better start playing games soon if I want this all to ever be remotely relevant, lol)

SOO will have a regional qualifier for the US championships, and there's a separate Canadian Championship. We're "lucky" that we have a giant country with a relatively tiny population. FWIW I'm also trying to make sense of it, and I'm (attempting) to coordinate the GB events at the SOO.

Spinsane likes this

9 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

SOO will have a regional qualifier for the US championships, and there's a separate Canadian Championship. We're "lucky" that we have a giant country with a relatively tiny population. FWIW I'm also trying to make sense of it, and I'm (attempting) to coordinate the GB events at the SOO.

Kudos to all Pundits involved with the SOO for having picked up that Regional qualifier spot. I assume there's nothing preventing canadians from participating in - or winning - the American Championship (and vice-versa), right?

I just find the use of the term "North American Championship" to be the main source of confusion. Does it encompass both Canadian and USA-ian championships? Just the USA's? Is there gonna be a South American Championship of some sort or are they just future-proofing their process?

17 minutes ago, ADG said:

The last Irish championship was won by an Englishman ...

http://www.doubledodge.com.au/media/Episode8.mp3

I ... don't like this. If anyone from anywhere can compete in an event that's based on a particular region, then how is the event "regional" at all? What's to stop someone who's good at the game and has a bunch of money from traveling the world and winning every national championship?

Personally, I think entrance into competitive events that are based on a region should be limited to that region. The national champion of Ireland should, you know, actually be Irish.

16 minutes ago, RedSam said:

I ... don't like this. If anyone from anywhere can compete in an event that's based on a particular region, then how is the event "regional" at all? What's to stop someone who's good at the game and has a bunch of money from traveling the world and winning every national championship?

Personally, I think entrance into competitive events that are based on a region should be limited to that region. The national champion of Ireland should, you know, actually be Irish.

What about someone who lives there but isn't from that country, or is seconded there for a few months for work, or ... the list goes on. What about people Poland or Austria or the Netherlands that don't have a national championship that could drive or hop on a train to Germany? What about Canadians who don't want to fly across the second largest country on earth, but could drive down to a US championships event in about as much time?

There are just as many, but probably more, problems with restricting the events by citizenship or residency requirements than there are just letting dedicated people who can travel to have more than one chance to qualify.

Spinsane likes this

56 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

Kudos to all Pundits involved with the SOO for having picked up that Regional qualifier spot. I assume there's nothing preventing canadians from participating in - or winning - the American Championship (and vice-versa), right?

I just find the use of the term "North American Championship" to be the main source of confusion. Does it encompass both Canadian and USA-ian championships? Just the USA's? Is there gonna be a South American Championship of some sort or are they just future-proofing their process?

It was the organizers who got the spot through their contacts, I'm just helping them organize since they are hardcore WMH players rather than in the Guild Ball scene.

I don't know if there will be a US Nationals that qualifies for SteamCon UK, but I'm guessing that the size of North America (mostly the USA) means that we get a separate championship event at SteamCon US so that there's a World Champion and an North American Champion that are probably different people (or it's just Jordan, sigh). I look forward to @Slothrop falling to like 7th or 8th from the top table though.

Slothrop likes this

3 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

What about someone who lives there but isn't from that country, or is seconded there for a few months for work, or ... the list goes on. What about people Poland or Austria or the Netherlands that don't have a national championship that could drive or hop on a train to Germany? What about Canadians who don't want to fly across the second largest country on earth, but could drive down to a US championships event in about as much time?

There are just as many, but probably more, problems with restricting the events by citizenship or residency requirements than there are just letting dedicated people who can travel to have more than one chance to qualify.

Fair points. They'd definitely have to figure some of that out to make it work. For situations like Europe, each national could cover several countries so that the whole continent has access to one - I maybe would call them things like the "Northern Europe Championship" instead of "German Nationals" to make that work better.

For people who are in a country temporarily or whatever, I'm not saying entrants would have to prove citizenship or anything like that. Even just providing a mailing address would be good.

I don't know. I get that there are problems, but I think allowing anyone from anywhere to enter every event seems like a problem to me, too. I play X-Wing, and we see that there all the time - there are regional tournaments all over, but there are people who go to half the regionals in the US. Seems weird that the "champion" of a location is someone who lives thousands of miles from that location.

10 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

It's gonna get won by a New Yorker.

Just wait.

5 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

Upstate or NYC?

Upstate - I'm gonna try to make it out with some of the Rochester crew.  It's only a 2 hour drive from me so I really have no excuses to not go.

8 minutes ago, RedSam said:

Fair points. They'd definitely have to figure some of that out to make it work. For situations like Europe, each national could cover several countries so that the whole continent has access to one - I maybe would call them things like the "Northern Europe Championship" instead of "German Nationals" to make that work better.

For people who are in a country temporarily or whatever, I'm not saying entrants would have to prove citizenship or anything like that. Even just providing a mailing address would be good.

I don't know. I get that there are problems, but I think allowing anyone from anywhere to enter every event seems like a problem to me, too. I play X-Wing, and we see that there all the time - there are regional tournaments all over, but there are people who go to half the regionals in the US. Seems weird that the "champion" of a location is someone who lives thousands of miles from that location.

There's another issue with doing tournaments on country lines - I live in upstate New York so the SOO is the closest regional to me by quite a margin.  The NOVA open is probably the next closest at a 6 hour drive.

Just now, angelforge said:

Upstate - I'm gonna try to make it out with some of the Rochester crew.  It's only a 2 hour drive from me so I really have no excuses to not go.

There's another issue with doing tournaments on country lines - I live in upstate New York so the SOO is the closest regional to me by quite a margin.  The NOVA open is probably the closest at a 6 hour drive.

We should talk (Facebook? Email? PM? Just get me your contact info)

angelforge likes this

Wait wait wait.  Is this saying that if enough stores run a "store event", that people who have already registered and paid for spots in regional championships won't get to play?

I know it's a small risk in most cases, but guaranteeing spots in events that in some cases are already sold out seems like a Bad Idea

Question to @Steamforged, for us West Coast USA stores, because LVO doesn't participate in this format (they have their own qualifier at the event), is there a particular Regional our stores should apply for?  Will we even be considered if a West Coast store applies for say, Adepticon?

Also, If multiple stores apply, will they only compete against each other if they apply to be the qualifier for the same Regionals?  For example, if Store A applies for Adepticon, and Store B applies for MOM Con, are they considered against each other or only considered amongst all who applied for the same Regionals?

I guess this issue only comes up because the West Coast doesn't really have their own Regionals that the stores can be qualifiers for (because LVO is out of the picture).

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, MilitaryCoo said:

Wait wait wait.  Is this saying that if enough stores run a "store event", that people who have already registered and paid for spots in regional championships won't get to play?

I know it's a small risk in most cases, but guaranteeing spots in events that in some cases are already sold out seems like a Bad Idea

Store events get you a spot in the Regional finals, which you can't register for straight-away. The other finals slots go to players from the Feeder tournaments at the event itself.

35 minutes ago, kryzak said:

Question to @Steamforged, for us West Coast USA stores, because LVO doesn't participate in this format (they have their own qualifier at the event), is there a particular Regional our stores should apply for?  Will we even be considered if a West Coast store applies for say, Adepticon?

Also, If multiple stores apply, will they only compete against each other if they apply to be the qualifier for the same Regionals?  For example, if Store A applies for Adepticon, and Store B applies for MOM Con, are they considered against each other or only considered amongst all who applied for the same Regionals?

I guess this issue only comes up because the West Coast doesn't really have their own Regionals that the stores can be qualifiers for (because LVO is out of the picture).

Thanks!

I had a chat about this one with those in the know. I have been requested to have my local Oregon store apply to MOM Con and if enough West Coast applications come in then they may consider adding another Regional to the calendar.

Sweet, thanks Fitz!  Yeah, one of the SFG reps also told us the same thing in a different group.  Let's hope for more West Coast tournaments!

56 minutes ago, Maurice said:

Store events get you a spot in the Regional finals, which you can't register for straight-away. The other finals slots go to players from the Feeder tournaments at the event itself.

That's in direct contradiction to this post (which is LVO specific, but still relevant)

@MilitaryCoo Yeah, I was told that LVO spots are ONLY from the LVO qualifiers, because it was too early in the year and they couldn't get the store qualifier program together in time.  But for all the rest of the regionals, it's based on the store qualifiers.

muwhe likes this