Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Sign in to follow this  
Doc

Adventures of a splayedpaintbrush

I've finally started painting my Guild Ball models. I'll dump update pics in this thread as I get stuff painted. I have a hobby blog which I use to keep me motivated and therefore generating content for it at https://splayedpaintbrush.com/

Hence the strange thread title. I didn't want to call it "My Masons", as I expect there to be more than just Masons making an appearance here eventually. 

I've started painting Mallet and Flint. I want to try something new. So I'm playing with gold NMM.

gb_masons_mallet_s75_nmm_test.jpg

gb_masons_flint_mallet_nmm_test_01.jpg

There's more of me waffling on about my first experiments painting NMM gold on my Masons in this blog post:

https://splayedpaintbrush.com/2016/07/13/painting-experiments-gold-non-metallic-metal/

The Masons are having paint put on them very s l o w l y .  And they are also getting some table time, in fact they had a Big League game vs Alchemists 2 days ago (and lost sadly).

However i have been busy painting some one else's Morticians.

morts_001.jpg

I really enjoyed painting Bonesaw, that sculpt is fantastic it almost painted itself.

More pictures and words on my blog:

https://splayedpaintbrush.com/2016/09/17/guild-ball-morticians/

I've been a little bit inactive on the guild ball hobby front. The above Tater isn't any further along and I guess I played my last big league game he'll be unusable in last week. Nor are the Masons but for model scale reasons.

However, I did this tonight. I gave Wrecker a tail. I'm not sure about it if I'm honest. But I'll see how (if) it paints up I suppose.

masons_wrecker_tail.jpg

That's a good idEAR, I undercoated Wrecker last night, but I think I might go back and add some ears. I like how that looks. 

Thanks for sharing that pic :)

Well I had a go at some Wrecker ears.

masons_wrecker_ears.jpg

And since the greenstuff was out I started work on a goal idea. Here's a quick work in progress pic of my sculpting skills (or lack of). 

guild_ball_shield_wip.jpg

You say lack of skills, but that's a pretty accurate :P: there!

What's the metal thing it's sculpted on?

And wrecker really does look more adorable with ears...

I’ll be honest, sometimes I find using greenstuff easy, other times it’s a right pain in the arse.

Those ears for example were starting to annoy me – I was mostly having difficulty attaching them, I guess because I’d already primed the model. Then once they were on I just couldn’t get the result I wanted, they are much thicker then I intended them to be.

However the sculpting of the GB symbol actually went a lot better than I’d hoped it would – although I noticed when I was posting the picture a skewing of the ball’s patterning on the lower edge. As the GS still hadn't fully cured I went back and managed to correct this afterwards.

guild_ball_shield_wip2.jpg

The symbol is sculpted onto a round shield, it’s actually a Spartan shield with the lambda symbol removed before adding the greenstuff. I’d just blue tacked it to a 30mm base to make it easy to hold while I was sculpting the GB symbol.

The shield is for a statue that’ll form part of my first goal. I’ve been lazy with my goal, just using a 50mm base. So lazy that i never actually got round to attaching the KS resin goal base topper.
Its also starting to bug me just using a base, especially when you see what my regular opponents use (example link), and what other forum members have created in the goal post thread. I’ve had a few ideas about various goals for most of the teams I own, and I’ll be honest for some reason I keep coming up with ways of making even the simple ones complicated to make. Hence I never actually get round to making one which is a very lame excuse.

My latest idea for a Masons/generic goal is to have a bronze statue stood on top of a stone column. I’ll just base the goal to match my team. Simples!

Here is a rather crude photo-shopped mock-up I put together on the PC of what I have in mind. And you can see what the shield is for now.
guild_ball_goal_idea.png

@Anphiarus having just seen your Brick conversion (excellent work by the way) I'm wondering if you have a Spartan themed Masons scheme in mind?

Thank you, the plan is for a Spartan/Gladiator like theme for the Masons, helmets are a tricky thing for me to sculpt (all those clean symmetrical lines) so I'm trying to vary them a little. Do you mind telling me where you got the Spartan shield from (the model range) . I've struggled to find something that would fit and it looks perfect.

Seriously impressive work on that guild ball logo by the way, looking forward to seeing more from yourself.

The manufacturer is Tale of War from their Alternate Revision range. That model is Dilios, but there is also a Stelios and Leonidas mini.

Link to ToW Dilios

I haven't found a UK supplier, EG used to stock them but don't seem to now (EG page). I actually found mine on eBay but I'm fairly sure it was second hand.

Thanks for the compliment, I think I got lucky with that logo sculpt, so much so I made a cast of it lol.

Well finally got chance to do some painting, feels like an age since I last painted something. So here is the bronze statue for the goal post. 

20170720_171224.jpg