Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

squirtis

Painting for beginners

199 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find pictures of minis people have already painted (for ideas) but I haven't found much.  Where do I look? What search terms should I use?

http://imgur.com/a/lmMGE

These are the first two I have painted. Small mech from mechafront and a random cyclops warrior. The warrior I need to repaint as I was trying out different colors on it for testing but I actually want to make it look good.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Gervill Froad likes this

On Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 11:00 PM, elfonamouse said:

I'm trying to find pictures of minis people have already painted (for ideas) but I haven't found much.  Where do I look? What search terms should I use?

https://www.facebook.com/OutlawGhoul/

This is my page. I'm no pro but i've got an album for each mini with what paints I used

i just about finished my first ever mini today, just need to do the base:

i'd appreciate any comments on what you guys think.

Gervill Froad likes this

10 minutes ago, squirtis said:

i just about finished my first ever mini today, just need to do the base:

i'd appreciate any comments on what you guys think.

Looks great! Did you do all the highlighting by hand without any shades/washes?

squirtis likes this

4 minutes ago, Gervill Froad said:

Looks great! Did you do all the highlighting by hand without any shades/washes?

I basically put my nuetral color all over, did a thick wash, then built a few different highlight colors and tried to lightly layer them. Then on all the accessories I did manual shading, I used some wash but did it very selectively.

And thanks!

Gervill Froad likes this

Has anyone attempted to fix the bends in the DS models? Some of the swords are bendy and smoughs hammer...

What method did you use that worked well for you? Looking for advice as i want to start prepping my minis tonight

5 minutes ago, squirtis said:

Has anyone attempted to fix the bends in the DS models? Some of the swords are bendy and smoughs hammer...

What method did you use that worked well for you? Looking for advice as i want to start prepping my minis tonight

Easiest way to fix bendy weapons in my experience is a cup of hot water - hold the weapon in it for 5-10 seconds, take it out, hold it straight and it should cool and set in that position.

squirtis likes this

2 minutes ago, Mako said:

Easiest way to fix bendy weapons in my experience is a cup of hot water - hold the weapon in it for 5-10 seconds, take it out, hold it straight and it should cool and set in that position.

Ok, cuz i found some stuff online that was saying to boil water and put the mini in for like 5 or 10 mins then take it out, shape it, and then put it in an ice bucket for a long time.

it sounds like it might be much easier than that :) 

It might have to be near boiling, but I never go quite that hot as I tend to cook my fingers that way :D

If ten seconds isn't enough, you can just keep holding it under for longer periods. Five minutes seems really long unless it's a massive thick chunk of plastic.

But I've never needed an ice bucket, just some patience and blowing on it!

3 minutes ago, squirtis said:

Ok, cuz i found some stuff online that was saying to boil water and put the mini in for like 5 or 10 mins then take it out, shape it, and then put it in an ice bucket for a long time.

it sounds like it might be much easier than that :) 

Do not boil the water and do not hold it under for that long.... it will melt lol

squirtis and Fuggal the Nosey like this

Yeah, you definitely don't want boiling water. 15 seconds or so under water as hot as your tap can get will usually work. Then dip it in ice water for a few seconds while holding it in the shape you want.

6 hours ago, Minst_Meat said:

Got game the other day and finished priming mini's. Frost knight got painted today.

Ooh... That is cool. Do you have any plans to add a black to the armor or any extra affects to the sword.

Minst_Meat likes this

8 hours ago, Fuggal the Nosey said:

Ooh... That is cool. Do you have any plans to add a black to the armor or any extra affects to the sword.

I'm not sure. It was originally a dark gray/blue tint but when I put a second blue on after it dried it became way to blue. This is after a 3rd layer to fix it. I might try later but this is my 3rd mini painting ever and first for the darksouls game, and i'm not confident enough to try to add more. I kinda just want to paint the mini's with just color matching them so they aren't just plastic grey or in my case now primer black. But after I did put a matte spray on this mini it is darker then the photo shows.

squirtis and Fuggal the Nosey like this

I've just filmed this to help any beginners get started. Good length to sit and paint to although there is a quick step by step guide at the end of the video (50:02)

Any subs and support appreciated and I'll be back with the Warrior next :)

squirtis and Gervill Froad like this

I really like the colour you used, it feel dark like the game.

Very nice work :)

I don't know if you have time, but could you please continue to make some videos or at least explantation of the colour/technics you used ?

squirtis likes this

7 hours ago, Arcueid said:

I really like the colour you used, it feel dark like the game.

Very nice work :)

I don't know if you have time, but could you please continue to make some videos or at least explantation of the colour/technics you used ?

Honestly, I'm pretty much brand new to painting, I've just been watching and reading different techniques etc. I've been using army painter paints and Windsor netwon brushes. 

I watched thermo's video above to get a handle on dry brushing, and did that first with gun metal. Next I did the cape in thin layers and since my primer was black that took care of the dark areas, then I did thin layers of of nuetral light, then went back and did bright red for highlights, but I used thin layers of white first so it would really prop up the red. Building from a black primer can take a while when using super thin layers. Next I moved on to the fur and did a few white layers as a base then moved to a very light tan color. It was looking too light for my taste so I used a dark wash on all the fur, let it dry, then went back and did a close to white dry brush to being out the highlights and give it dimension. Last I started working on all the leather parts. I will likely do some selective washing, might try and bring out the boot laces that wrap around the whole boot, and then I'll go back for highlights.

It's taken me a long time since I'm still very new. I probably won't be able to finish until next week since this weekend I will be out of town.

Cheers

Thermo likes this

15 minutes ago, squirtis said:

It's taken me a long time since I'm still very new. I probably won't be able to finish until next week since this weekend I will be out of town.

About the same for me, I almost finished SW:Imperial Assault but the last mercenaries and rebels figure take me a while (almost 4h per figure)

I use exclusively black primer, since this is the only primer I have. For SW it is maybe not a good idea, but for DS I feel you figure looking good !

squirtis likes this

I started painting my set Saturday. My shoulder was bothering me so I ended up rushing a bit. I'm not super happy with these, the helmets in particular. I was going for a worn bronze look, but they look more like US football helmets.  :lol: 

But they look decent enough for now. I may go back and see what I can do to fix them later. I do like how the shields came out.

8M1xpbn.jpg

Gervill Froad likes this