Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

squirtis

Painting for beginners

199 posts in this topic

On the subject of painting our minis; does anyone have any good sources for paint schemes if we're trying to copy the game?

I know you can Google image search and get decent/okay pictures for most, but a lot of them have motion blur or UI elements in the way. Artist renders from the development cycle might be easier to use.

I have to give cred to the newbies who want to paint their dark souls minis.. I painted quite a lot about 15 years ago, but I wouldn't dare to put a single drop of paint on my dark souls minis in fear of screwing up. I'll probably hire some pro painter later for the player characters and the bosses/mega bosses :)

4 minutes ago, \[T]/ SOLAIRE \[T]/ said:

I have to give cred to the newbies who want to paint their dark souls minis.. I painted quite a lot about 15 years ago, but I wouldn't dare to put a single drop of paint on my dark souls minis in fear of screwing up. I'll probably hire some pro painter later for the player characters and the bosses/mega bosses :)

It's been years since I've done any painting, so I plan to spend a LOT of time practicing in the mean time. I just ordered a bunch of paints/brushes/minis etc today to get started.

1 hour ago, Ashraam said:

It's been years since I've done any painting, so I plan to spend a LOT of time practicing in the mean time. I just ordered a bunch of paints/brushes/minis etc today to get started.

Go for it! :) you've got more guts than me. Praise the sun! \[T]/

Ashraam likes this

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:13 AM, Ashraam said:

On the subject of painting our minis; does anyone have any good sources for paint schemes if we're trying to copy the game?

I know you can Google image search and get decent/okay pictures for most, but a lot of them have motion blur or UI elements in the way. Artist renders from the development cycle might be easier to use.

@Ashraam I've taken the liberty to gather the best images for the base set of the game.

As I didn't want to clog up this thread I gathered them here.

8 minutes ago, Ritz Malheur said:

@Ashraam I've taken the liberty to gather the best images for the base set of the game. More images for other sets will be posted eventually.

As I didn't want to clog up this thread I gathered them here. http://imageupper.com/g/?galID=S020001006Q14637752461765075&n=1

That's great, thanks for doing that!

Considering the material that the minis are made of...   I assume similar to the Guild Ball one....    Is there a specific paint that works better? I saw some paints were better for metals and other for plastic....   It might all look the same to me I guess... But just wondering if people had a preference for the DS type of mini...

Niki likes this

1 hour ago, xmositox said:

Considering the material that the minis are made of...   I assume similar to the Guild Ball one....    Is there a specific paint that works better? I saw some paints were better for metals and other for plastic....   It might all look the same to me I guess... But just wondering if people had a preference for the DS type of mini...

Anything from Citdel or Vallejo should be fine.

xmositox likes this

models are going to be pvc and made by the same company that made the blood rage minis. I just got blood rage tonight actually and I promise they are not the same quality of material as guild ball. I am sure they are going to be nice miniatures. In Blood Rage the bigger models definitely look better than the smaller ones and the spears are a little flimsy. I am looking forward to the dark souls miniatures and I am happy with the blood rage miniatures, but I wasn't expecting a more modeling material like resin, pewter. or hard plastic.

xmositox likes this

8 hours ago, Ritz Malheur said:

@Ashraam I've taken the liberty to gather the best images for the base set of the game. More images for other sets will be posted eventually.

As I didn't want to clog up this thread I gathered them here.

Core Set

Player Character Expansion

Core Game Expansion

I guess if someone also has the Dark Souls art books, it would be really useful to get some scans for reference. I don't know though if the artwork in those books are more CG or actual drawings... But still, it's a starting point. However, there isn't one out for Dark Souls 3 yet, but I guess it should be coming out during the following year, or two max.

sorry about being quiet last few days, im away for may 17th celebrations in norway still (this is like the biggest holiday of the year) as for colour schemes i was thinking of varied skin tones for the hollows between fresh dead and "old" dead (using different inks...surprisingly purple and pink inks do well here too) as for armours of hollows\old knights i will keep metals darker and worn but not completely rusty. also most summons\players will look fairly old but not too bad (will be using really soft and regular brown inks on materials and verdigris on weapons etc) a lot of this i can actually cover at the end of the year when i start smashing through on my walking dead minis. 

also cant remember who was saying about masses of layers to paint like GW, but it really doesnt take many at all, and yes you can do weapons just as quick without it. my personal favourite is Leadbelcher base>nuln oil wash>runefang silver edging with a few scratches on the weapon if you want (lightly does it) and if you want easy blood tamiya clear red (x-27 or 28 i think) is a good method. 

as i said its not that i HATE it, i just think it has fairly limited uses when you can do it with layering (although will be a better option for when the mandatory undead exp comes out ;)) for newer people to paint skeles and such

2 hours ago, Artemisth said:

I guess if someone also has the Dark Souls art books, it would be really useful to get some scans for reference. I don't know though if the artwork in those books are more CG or actual drawings... But still, it's a starting point. However, there isn't one out for Dark Souls 3 yet, but I guess it should be coming out during the following year, or two max.

You mean the Design Works? I have the first one and the artworks are all drawings. It's not complete though, there isn't every model. I'd say there are most of the armors,  most bosses (if not all), some mobs and some of the more unique weapons. The second one should have twice the page count however.

It should work as a reference but you don't always have all the angles you need.

I love that there is such activity in this thread so long before the game is even out. :)

As I've said elsewhere I'm a novice painter and I'm really looking forward to trying out stuff and getting better while waiting for the game to arrive.

Now, so far I've only ever painted minis in metal or hard plastic (the GW kind) and I'd really like to paint some stuff in the same material that wil be used for DS. Does anyone have suggestions of minature brands that would be suitable? I prefer weird fantasy but if the material is right the genre isn't super important.

22 minutes ago, Wellsin said:

Now, so far I've only ever painted minis in metal or hard plastic (the GW kind) and I'd really like to paint some stuff in the same material that wil be used for DS. Does anyone have suggestions of minature brands that would be suitable? I prefer weird fantasy but if the material is right the genre isn't super important.

Well I believe they are going to use the same manufacturer that was used to make the board game Blood Rage.  I can't find Cool Mini or Not confirming exactly what the material for their blood rage mini's was but since it is PVC for Souls I assume it will be PVC for blood rage since they are the same manufacturer.

If you want to pick the game up you can order it here but I think it is out of stock and not sure if they are going to get more made: https://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/blood-rage-core-game.html

Ignore that!  You can get it on amazon.com for a better price and it is in stock :P.  Here you go: Blood Rage

Hmm... That's interesting, though I'm not sure I'm willing to invest in a complete boardgame just to practice my painting. Though I have to say those minis look pretty sweet. I'll have a look and see if I can find a local (Swedish) distributor. Shipping from Amazon is a bit much for me I'm afraid.

Thanks for the tip! Anyone else have any suggestions?

12 minutes ago, Wellsin said:

Hmm... That's interesting, though I'm not sure I'm willing to invest in a complete boardgame just to practice my painting. Though I have to say those minis look pretty sweet. I'll have a look and see if I can find a local (Swedish) distributor. Shipping from Amazon is a bit much for me I'm afraid.

Thanks for the tip! Anyone else have any suggestions?

sadly no, but i feel your pain with import charges :( also on another note i seem to remember bloodrage being fairly dense pvc and quite nice.

3 minutes ago, Azgannar said:

sadly no, but i feel your pain with import charges :( also on another note i seem to remember bloodrage being fairly dense pvc and quite nice.

My understanding is the large mini's like the fire giant are really nice, but the smaller ones, such as the dwarf chief, leave a lot to be desired.

Just now, Karkarov said:

My understanding is the large mini's like the fire giant are really nice, but the smaller ones, such as the dwarf chief, leave a lot to be desired.

some of the spears etc were a bit bent, but not hard to sort and certainly no under constant risk of breaking. but it will depend on how well its packed...i really wouldnt worry too much.

12 hours ago, Gervill Froad said:

I found a GIANT playlist for absolute beginners on miniature painting.... The guy talks A LOT on each subject so you might want to consider skipping chunks or entire videos XD

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0292071C3B38CAC

there some really good stuff on here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urm-lWXxtJ0

this video is long but i used this technique to do my undead swords and they turned out really cool

Gervill Froad likes this

16 hours ago, Azgannar said:

some of the spears etc were a bit bent, but not hard to sort and certainly no under constant risk of breaking. but it will depend on how well its packed...i really wouldnt worry too much.

How about the Reaper Bones miniatures? Anyone know if those are similar to what the DS minis will be like? Seems like a simpler (cheaper) way to get hold of some practice figures.

7 minutes ago, Wellsin said:

How about the Reaper Bones miniatures? Anyone know if those are similar to what the DS minis will be like? Seems like a simpler (cheaper) way to get hold of some practice figures.

i woudnt worry about what plastic material you are painting onto, as soon as its spray primed you are painting onto that.

Karkarov likes this

1 hour ago, Azgannar said:

i woudnt worry about what plastic material you are painting onto, as soon as its spray primed you are painting onto that.

Very true!  Personally I would advise getting some junk miniatures just to practice priming if anything if you really are a novice.  It seems like a non step, but one mistake in the priming process can irrevocably ruin your mini.

Azgannar and Gervill Froad like this

Just now, Karkarov said:

Very true!  Personally I would advise getting some junk miniatures just to practice priming if anything if you really are a novice.  It seems like a non step, but one mistake in the priming process can irrevocably ruin your mini.

i second this, the higher level of details in the mini means its easier to coat too thick and start losing it. 

Karkarov likes this

For cheap miniatures, try Ebay.  You can get badly painted or outdated figures normally for a LOT cheaper than normal.  I got THREE $90AUD Blood Angel Dreadnoughts for $70AUD.

Karkarov likes this