Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

squirtis

Painting for beginners

199 posts in this topic
11 hours ago, Gervill Froad said:

Azgannar, do you have any ideas for how you plan on paining invaders? It seems impossible to capture their look but then again i know nothing XD

Regarding the invaders, I was thinking about painting monochromatic with only red and black. Maybe some black primer + white spray coat from above to highlight and red glaze all the light parts... I'm not sure yet.

Monochromatic painting can be a killer for some works, you guys should check http://vom-krieg.blogspot.fr/2014/09/zombicide-more-monochrome-madness.html

The work below is based on yellow, orange and red, but with red only I'm pretty sure I could get something close to the feeling of the invaders, without loosing any of the miniature detail (as you can see, it does reveal a lot instead).

Beserkers.jpg

Hi all,

Pretty excited for this project. I've been painting Warhammer minis for about a year and I've been thinking about painting my DS kit when it comes.

My advice to any brand new painters, is practice on something else first. Get a good set of brushes and be patient. You can expect to spend 10+ hours per mini if you're not going the dry brush route and you want some fine edge highlights.

- Also get a brush cleaner

Do you think this community is big enough that people will post their "how to paint x DS figure" .   I already bought a starter kit and some cheap figures to paint...  But when i get the DS figures I'd rather watch a video of exact colors people used....

1 hour ago, Juksar said:

Hi all,

Pretty excited for this project. I've been painting Warhammer minis for about a year and I've been thinking about painting my DS kit when it comes.

My advice to any brand new painters, is practice on something else first. Get a good set of brushes and be patient. You can expect to spend 10+ hours per mini if you're not going the dry brush route and you want some fine edge highlights.

- Also get a brush cleaner

10 hours plus is quite a stretch tbh, when painting regiments even i top out at 4-5 max. also everyone says about snazzy expensive brushes, but ive used GW ones for years and i can guarantee i use a lot more detail than most people claiming they are crap.

35 minutes ago, xmositox said:

Do you think this community is big enough that people will post their "how to paint x DS figure" .   I already bought a starter kit and some cheap figures to paint...  But when i get the DS figures I'd rather watch a video of exact colors people used....

well i dont have access to do filming videos, but i can do pictures, and will specify the colours in step by step, its take it or leave if people want to use it or not.

I'd use anything I can get....  I wouldn't want to mess them up.. 

I plan on waiting until people offer a few how to videos or tutorials showing colors to use etc...  

In the meantime, I will try to practice on reaper bones minis....

2 hours ago, Azgannar said:

10 hours plus is quite a stretch tbh, when painting regiments even i top out at 4-5 max. also everyone says about snazzy expensive brushes, but ive used GW ones for years and i can guarantee i use a lot more detail than most people claiming they are crap.

well i dont have access to do filming videos, but i can do pictures, and will specify the colours in step by step, its take it or leave if people want to use it or not.

Well, I've been painting for 10 years now and more recently making conversions with Green Stuff (adding detail, armors, weapons, bags... to minis), and 10h for a single but simple mini can easily fly when you start painting =)

3 hours ago, xmositox said:

Of course the community is big enough, I'm pretty sure you'll find buckloads of tutorials, some pretty nice, some others... Well. You'll pick them at that time ;)

But there are lots of techniques to speed up the process, Sorastro's channel is about those ones, you should definitely check him out.

I know I'll post lots of step by step pictures on Boardgamegeek, and now this forum is up, I'll post them here aswell. But be sure to train a bit before on more basic minis, that'd be too bad to ruin a couple of DS minis !

4 hours ago, xmositox said:

Well Zombicide Black Plague's Kickstarter had 20,000 backers and there are TONS of tutorials on how to paint it. So i am sure there will eventually be just as many on DS minis with its 30,000 backers.

yeah exactly, grenstuffing conversions too yeah 10h but you didnt mention that before. but i shall see what happens at the time, if theres loads of people already doing tutorials i wont waste my time, but i will put a showcase of my finished minis up, as i have the walking dead stuff to do as well as a new board to make.

7 hours ago, Azgannar said:

I use the GW brushes also.

Maybe I'm slow but I'm very detail oriented and I want my minis to look as best I can get them. I'll easily spend 10+ per if i'm doing a single mini. Usually I'll paint 4 at a time now to speed things up and it's mostly broken down into stages anyways as you know. Base, wash, layer etc

Just getting ready to paint my Glottkin and the Silver Tower box set this weekend! 

4 minutes ago, Juksar said:

I use the GW brushes also.

Maybe I'm slow but I'm very detail oriented and I want my minis to look as best I can get them. I'll easily spend 10+ per if i'm doing a single mini. Usually I'll paint 4 at a time now to speed things up and it's mostly broken down into stages anyways as you know. Base, wash, layer etc

Just getting ready to paint my Glottkin and the Silver Tower box set this weekend! 

yeah if painting a character etc, the chaplain in my profile pic i spent a fair amount of time on (humanoid sized obviously). and the thing is with these minis they will break easily into big subsections for groups of painting (hollows\silver knights\alonne knights)

Games workshop paints are excellent.

I've only painted a few GW mini's so far, but I'm looking forward to painting the DS minis.

One tip I have is use black primer, not grey!  I'm working on an imperial knight at the min, and used grey primer, which is then covered with a metallic dark silver base coat.  It looks fine in your hand, but if you use a camera with a flash you can see I've missed the base coat off of so many areas! :(

Few things I've learned over the few years of painting minis...

1) apply thin coats 2) let the washes dry properly 3) you're better than you think 4) take care of your brushes 5) focus on a single mini/unit, don't stray; you'll have a billion minis halfpainted and waiting...

4 hours ago, Steve Dickinson \{--}/ said:

Games workshop paints are excellent.

I've only painted a few GW mini's so far, but I'm looking forward to painting the DS minis.

One tip I have is use black primer, not grey!  I'm working on an imperial knight at the min, and used grey primer, which is then covered with a metallic dark silver base coat.  It looks fine in your hand, but if you use a camera with a flash you can see I've missed the base coat off of so many areas! :(

this is why i ALWAYS make 2 passes at primers and use it slightly further away, also ive noticed that the new GW sprays have gotten better (not that i thought they were bad to begin with) and they have also started doing more colours again (Khorne red might be of interest to those looking to base invaders to do like in game)

2 hours ago, Jimer, Disciple of Ariamis said:

Few things I've learned over the few years of painting minis...

1) apply thin coats 2) let the washes dry properly 3) you're better than you think 4) take care of your brushes 5) focus on a single mini/unit, don't stray; you'll have a billion minis halfpainted and waiting...

the first one is what i see people missing out on a lot, most of the time brand new paints will be ok as long as the brush is damp, but even then it will most likely be 2 coats for a decent base layer, and definitely minimum 2 on golds etc.

5 hours ago, Gervill Froad said:

Apparently i have run out of Likes for the day...why can i only give 10 likes a day? :(

thats ok, you can give me one tomorrow ;) haha

Just grabbed this little starter kit from Warhammer (Games Workshop, but renamed,  in Glasgow) today.  Looking forward to getting some practice in before DSBG arrives!  Luckily I have plenty of small, precise art brushes around.  It comes with one, finer brush which I'll keep for picking out detail and use my others for prime-coat and block colours I think.

To be honest, just a glance at the kit, and it kinda bored me, being mostly gold and blue (I prefer dark fantasy :P), but when I took a closer look I can see the potential for highlights and depth.  Won't compare to doing DSBG models, but at least it's some practice :)
VK4ERlr.jpg

26 minutes ago, turpentine said:

Just grabbed this little starter kit from Warhammer (Games Workshop, but renamed,  in Glasgow) today.  Looking forward to getting some practice in before DSBG arrives!  Luckily I have plenty of small, precise art brushes around.  It comes with one, finer brush which I'll keep for picking out detail and use my others for prime-coat and block colours I think.

To be honest, just a glance at the kit, and it kinda bored me, being mostly gold and blue (I prefer dark fantasy :P), but when I took a closer look I can see the potential for highlights and depth.  Won't compare to doing DSBG models, but at least it's some practice :)
VK4ERlr.jpg

That looks badass but I looked that kit up and i cannot believe they are asking $50 for it... I am a complete noob when it comes to this  so for me personal i will continue to look for something cheaper to get started.

Got it for £20 here (Around $29).  So wasn't too bad :) Bit of supporting the local store (despite it being GW :P) and a bit cheaper than places locally were asking for the Reaper Bones mini starter kit :D 

Gervill Froad likes this

Just now, turpentine said:

Got it for £20 here (Around $29).  So wasn't too bad :) Bit of supporting the FLGS and a bit cheaper than places locally were asking for the Reaper Bones mini starter kit :D 

that seems more reasonable. I have no clue what kit to get to get started...i hope i can find one that has colors that i can carry over to paint DS:BG :)

turpentine likes this

Don't know if this is of any use to you but it's the other one I was looking at before http://www.amazon.com/Bones-Miniatures-Learn-Paint-Reaper/dp/B00NTMC49G (Amazon link for ease, ofc support FLGS if you can get there instead! :))

Luckily this Stormcast one comes with a pretty decent gold for the armour.  I'll see how it turns out and if it's good, I'll keep the rest for giving Solaire a nice gold glowy highlight :P

2 minutes ago, turpentine said:

Don't know if this is of any use to you but it's the other one I was looking at before http://www.amazon.com/Bones-Miniatures-Learn-Paint-Reaper/dp/B00NTMC49G (Amazon link for ease, ofc support FLGS if you can get there instead! :))

Luckily this Stormcast one comes with a pretty decent gold for the armour.  I'll see how it turns out and it's good, I'll keep the rest for giving Solaire a nice gold glowy highlight :P

Yeah that is the kit i am leaning towards getting so far... but i might get one of the army painter kits and then get a few cheap minis to practice on. I just dont know anything about this stuff so i am keeping an eye out for more info :D

I just started painting Star Wars Imperial Assault miniatures two months ago, and I think that was half the reason I was drawn to this kickstarter. 

It's challenging at first, but 30 miniatures in and the difference in quality between my latest figures and my first ones are incredible! I'm no savant, my hands aren't great at the slightest detail - but your ability and technique definitely grow with practice!

I did a lot of research andi found the best value for a full array of high quality paints is Army Painter's Mega Paint Set 2. 

http://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Mega-Paint-Set/dp/B00HC9YNZU

The brushes it comes with are not great for detail work because the bristles don't form a point at all, at least in my experience. A set of Atlus or Rosemary brushes are far superior. 

I have a few pictures on an imgur album of my progress. Total amateur work, mind you!

http://m.imgur.com/a/Cw2dT

2 hours ago, TheAugust said:

I just started painting Star Wars Imperial Assault miniatures two months ago, and I think that was half the reason I was drawn to this kickstarter. 

It's challenging at first, but 30 miniatures in and the difference in quality between my latest figures and my first ones are incredible! I'm no savant, my hands aren't great at the slightest detail - but your ability and technique definitely grow with practice!

I did a lot of research andi found the best value for a full array of high quality paints is Army Painter's Mega Paint Set 2. 

http://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Mega-Paint-Set/dp/B00HC9YNZU

The brushes it comes with are not great for detail work because the bristles don't form a point at all, at least in my experience. A set of Atlus or Rosemary brushes are far superior. 

I have a few pictures on an imgur album of my progress. Total amateur work, mind you!

http://m.imgur.com/a/Cw2dT

I second that. I got myself the Mega Set from Army Painter as well. With the exception of the primer, you will find everything you need to get started.

The metal paints are especially nice.

@TheAugust: Nice paint job!

On May 17, 2016 at 0:30 PM, Gervill Froad said:

Well Zombicide Black Plague's Kickstarter had 20,000 backers and there are TONS of tutorials on how to paint it. So i am sure there will eventually be just as many on DS minis with its 30,000 backers.

I find it crazy everyone is thinking this won't be popular. Even my friends who don't like video games or table top games are excited for this to come out so they can play dark souls. Like every person I talk to about dark souls in the past years haz wanted a table top game of it, and even people who swore never to play dark souls again we're excited and even pledged when I told them about it. How come everyone thinks this isn't goin be popular? 

Also my bad cuz this was totally a thread about painting