Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

squirtis

Painting for beginners

130 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I love the DS world and jumped on this ks. I've never done miniature painting but am excited to get mine and dive into it. 

Does anyone have recommended guides for painting or good starting kits with paints and brushes? I imagine some people use sprays too... Not sure what pricing is on stuff like that but I'd like to hear an experienced community's opinion.

Thanks!

Praise the paint!

Squirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to learn just for my DS board game too! I have been watching videos on YouTube... Here are some channels i enjoy so far:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorastro

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePaintingClinic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVBDCPwjvNITHKwimep87g

 

EDIT:

i found a learn to paint kit and was wondering if anyone has used it or something like it???

LINK:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NTMC49G/ref=s9_simh_gw_g21_i3_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=016HM4P4W6096PV3V6R8&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=f9c06381-e106-4d3c-95fc-fcc60666a87f&pf_rd_i=desktop

dawve30, PNxBWood, squirtis and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gervill Froad said:

I want to learn just for my DS board game too! I have been watching videos on YouTube... Here are some channels i enjoy so far:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorastro

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePaintingClinic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVBDCPwjvNITHKwimep87g

 

EDIT:

i found a learn to paint kit and was wondering if anyone has used it or something like it???

LINK:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NTMC49G/ref=s9_simh_gw_g21_i3_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=016HM4P4W6096PV3V6R8&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=f9c06381-e106-4d3c-95fc-fcc60666a87f&pf_rd_i=desktop

Awesome I will have to check some of these links when I'm off work!

Hopefully we can get some input from some vets.

Gervill Froad likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are you based globally? 
Games Workshop Stores in the UK will teach you to paint, they have a really good range and wont force you to buy their models if you have a good store. Alot of people prefer Vallejo Paints for the bottles 

Ive heard there are some local hobby stores around the world who also do painting sessions.
Youtube is awesome to help aswell 

Reaper miniature are really good to start with, be prepared, the Dark Souls Minis will be alot more detailed but a good starter kit for the price

squirtis likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GinjaNinja said:

Where are you based globally? 
Games Workshop Stores in the UK will teach you to paint, they have a really good range and wont force you to buy their models if you have a good store. Alot of people prefer Vallejo Paints for the bottles 

Ive heard there are some local hobby stores around the world who also do painting sessions.
Youtube is awesome to help aswell 

Reaper miniature are really good to start with, be prepared, the Dark Souls Minis will be alot more detailed but a good starter kit for the price

I'm based in the US out of CA. I will try and check some of the videos. I used to do tons of model cars when I was kid. Getting really detailed down to speed dials etc. I'm very excited to try the models, I just want to get a good starter kit with paints and brushes, then I may buy some base color sprays too. I want to see some methods and approaches people take. Thanks for the reply!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, squirtis said:

I'm based in the US out of CA. I will try and check some of the videos. I used to do tons of model cars when I was kid. Getting really detailed down to speed dials etc. I'm very excited to try the models, I just want to get a good starter kit with paints and brushes, then I may buy some base color sprays too. I want to see some methods and approaches people take. Thanks for the reply!

I used to teach beginners how to paint.
3 basic techniques i'd wholeheartedly reccommend.

After an under coat spray, i liek to use white or black, I like white because you can put a wash over it and still see the details like where cloaks stop and skin starts etc
Basecoat- Put the colours you want in the places you want them, eg skin on skin, brown on trousers, blue on shirt, silver on weapons

Wash- Use a mud wash on the whole model, it will sinnk into the recesses and leave highpoints lighter
 

Drybrush- Use the same colours you used before, a drybruch is where you get paint on your brush and rub most of it off on some kitchen roll and then it will just go onto the high points of your model

After doing this on some models you'll get the skills to start looking into highlighting and colour matching theories

 

Have a go, take your time and enjoy bud

Karkarov and squirtis like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok guys, i am planning on doing a DS specific paint tutorial when it all turns up, in my advice, althought it will probably annoy some people is to NOT go down the drybrush as it is a fairly lazy way to paint, i apologize to anyone this offends as im quite drunk right now. if people have the the patience i will help them later with painting their DS minis. im not talking much about it atm because nothing has been shipped.

also while i am drunk i have to say i love your profile photo gervill, i loooove tool :D:D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Azgannar said:

ok guys, i am planning on doing a DS specific paint tutorial when it all turns up, in my advice, althought it will probably annoy some people is to NOT go down the drybrush as it is a fairly lazy way to paint, i apologize to anyone this offends as im quite drunk right now. if people have the the patience i will help them later with painting their DS minis. im not talking much about it atm because nothing has been shipped.

also while i am drunk i have to say i love your profile photo gervill, i loooove tool :D:D:D

Ha! Thanks! ....Do you have a gallery of things you have painted? or are you planning to start with the DS Board Game?

GinjaNinja likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Azgannar said:

 althought it will probably annoy some people is to NOT go down the drybrush as it is a fairly lazy way to paint, i apologize to anyone this offends as im quite drunk right now.

 

 

Me too! Drybrushing is a good start for beginners though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the reaper bones training kit from amazon too...  I'll start playing around with stuff and see what happens...

Gervill Froad likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xmositox said:

I bought the reaper bones training kit from amazon too...  I'll start playing around with stuff and see what happens...

Let us know what you think of it... i am still on the fence about buying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont hve a gallery yet but my profile picture and home picture is fairly recent stuff, honestly drybrushing may seem like a good route for beginners, but basic layering IMO looks better and is just as easy, ive been painting for years and intend to do a picture heavy tutorial on the base pledge models at least and anything else i pick up at retail for beginners when it arrives. the only thing i ever touch with a drybrush is chainmail and maybe a couple of other rounded surfaces.

maybe i cn send people photos of stuff ive done before, i was hoping i would be able to have it on my profile but its small photo limits and no one else can see...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Azgannar, do you have any ideas for how you plan on paining invaders? It seems impossible to capture their look but then again i know nothing XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is something i have thought about myself, i have thought about painting EVERYTHING as normal (maybe with a yellowish glow for summons or red for invders) but the first bit for me will be to paint the models with normal armor colours etc prior to this, if im happy with results THEN ill think about tinges after. but tbh if people want to go down the route of pure reds and yellow for appropriate minis then thats up to them. for me i will be looking to some sort of "realism" in my models. if people dont like my painting thats fine but as long as i can teach some to improve and enhance their gaming experience that will be worth it to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEaPE4sLDA7s-26V0v6SepDFiznb3y6hx

GW TV has lots of great tutorials which are really good for beginners. He only uses GW paints but with a quick google search you can find a comparison from GW paints to other companies.

 

9 minutes ago, Gervill Froad said:

Azgannar, do you have any ideas for how you plan on paining invaders? It seems impossible to capture their look but then again i know nothing XD

http://puu.sh/oUx1P/8a9a34538d.jpg

I was attempting to do something like this to start with. Undercoat black, Paint silver, Glaze and wash red. It might be a bit to metallic but I'm going to run through a few cheap test models before I play with the Dark Souls stuff.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Army painter has some really nice products. They have a ton of spray paints that give you a nice starting point. Washes are your friend. A simple brown or black wash will go a very long way to bring out your miniatures. Be aware it can really dark them. So highlights or dry brushing can help after. 

squirtis likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Magnus said:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEaPE4sLDA7s-26V0v6SepDFiznb3y6hx

GW TV has lots of great tutorials which are really good for beginners. He only uses GW paints but with a quick google search you can find a comparison from GW paints to other companies.

 

http://puu.sh/oUx1P/8a9a34538d.jpg

I was attempting to do something like this to start with. Undercoat black, Paint silver, Glaze and wash red. It might be a bit to metallic but I'm going to run through a few cheap test models before I play with the Dark Souls stuff.
 

i can tell you in advance that wont look anything like the invader style. if you are really looking for basic red adding silvers into it will "muddy" the overall look. silver with red wash doesnt turn out as red...it will just look like silver with slight red tinge.

5 minutes ago, Bluntpower said:

Army painter has some really nice products. They have a ton of spray paints that give you a nice starting point. Washes are your friend. A simple brown or black wash will go a very long way to bring out your miniatures. Be aware it can really dark them. So highlights or dry brushing can help after. 

again this is true to some extent, but its good to know when to use brown as opposed to black, and when to use more or less ink so it doesnt "pool" where you dont want it too" also another thing to consider is metals with ink will dull (which can be desired in some cases) and drybrushing in flatter larger surfaces can look awful as opposed to just layering with taking into account light. i know i seem kinda like a douche at this point, but this is how i used to paing years ago and maybe it will help people along not to make the same mistakes i did for quite some time.

squirtis likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I'm not convinced I want to try to paint all of my minis yet, but I may give it a go. 

Years ago I started in on painting a Tyranid army and never finished because I got burned out on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Azgannar

My painting skills are pretty low. I am never going to win any contests. But I always appreciate some advice on how to paint a little better. 

 

 

 this is probably around the material and quality we can expect from dark souls. I think same company made zombicide, blood rage and now dark souls.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, squirtis said:

Hey guys,

I love the DS world and jumped on this ks. I've never done miniature painting but am excited to get mine and dive into it. 

Does anyone have recommended guides for painting or good starting kits with paints and brushes? I imagine some people use sprays too... Not sure what pricing is on stuff like that but I'd like to hear an experienced community's opinion.

Thanks!

Praise the paint!

Squirt

Just remember that your first minis will not look anything like the ones that people have been painting.

When I first started out I was sooooo disappointed on how bad it looks that I stopped painting for a long while...

But keep it up and you'll get perfect looking ones soon enough :D
 

Azgannar likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Makutsu said:

Just remember that your first minis will not look anything like the ones that people have been painting.

When I first started out I was sooooo disappointed on how bad it looks that I stopped painting for a long while...

But keep it up and you'll get perfect looking ones soon enough :D
 

definitely this. also for me i try to learn new colour combos or a new technique evertime i paint stuff, there is always a way that someone else does stuff better than me that makes me want to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now