Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Anphiarus

I love Guild Ball miniatures!!!

235 posts in this topic
On 1/26/2017 at 10:01 AM, Anphiarus said:

Thank you for your kind words Akodo Harid. There are many a people on this site that do some cracking work, all of which I have taken inspiration (and stole a few ideas ;)) from over the year or so I've been here. Please post up some pictures of your work if you can and I'm sure you will be warmly received.

I've made some good progress on Vitriol this week and barring some last minute alterations she is all done.

Before I get to the final pictures I thought I would show you what was done to complete the legs. As mentioned before the ankles were a bit of a problem, for me this was because the heel disappeared when I bent the foot to its new position. The standing foot could only be "fixed" by resorting to the saw and clippers again, this I feel was well worth the effort (thank you again speedfreak). the Back foot was much easier and I added the heel with a little green stuff. With that done it was time for the little details to be added back into the model, by far the most difficult part was her belt. This had to be done in a few stages starting with the main body of the belt that goes around her waist, once this was done I could then add the loops of her leggings that the belt goes through and then the section of the belt with the holes. The very final stage was to add the buckle but even that I did in two stages lol. Now that the belt was finished I just had to add in the waist to thigh strap back in and a few vial tops that were damage in the very first cutting stage.

6dcbd587-92ba-4006-94ac-85a398b3fe6b_zps

When working on two separate pieces there is always a chance that when you come to the joining of them you may have a few issues. Now for the most part I did dry fit them on a few occasions but even after that I found a few little issues I wasn't happy with. To start with I tapered off her waist too much when padding out her corset and the length at the back of her corset was a little short. Once I'd stuck the two pieces together it was much easier to see these issues and rectify them.

7f061807-7022-4ff4-8e2b-88801fb3387d_zpsea178350-10bc-4dd4-9c5c-19d19e8368f2_zps

Now that she was all one piece and the corset was altered I could get stuck in on all the little details. The multiple stitches and laces nearly sent me crazy, but I do feel that this is where it's important to focus. We all like to finish a project be it one model or a whole team, so many times in the past I've had a "that'll do" attitude towards the end of any project and it can take the shine off of all your hard work at the start, so whether it's painting or sculpting just take your time at the later stages. With all the stitches and laces done the last thing I wanted to do was add another layer to her hair and give her some trouser/legging pockets.

9a44ec49-9136-427f-9134-b5c1f5118ed8_zps3a3dafbb-c7b0-42dd-8378-90fc1903fe5b_zps

All being said and done this is a project I have found really interesting and pretty difficult to do. Overall I'm very happy the way she has tuned out and I look forward to seeing her all painted up.

If you are to attempt something like this yourselves then don't be afraid of making mistakes, when things become a little frustrating or outright annoying then take a breather and forget about the model a bit, sometimes you can be too close to see the problem. Have plenty of reference material at hand and pick the brains of as many people as you can find, no better place than the forums for that :).

Thank you for sticking through this endeavour with me.

Any further progress on painting this model? Did i miss the pic somewhere?

I have vitriol and shes all primed up, but Ive just been super lazy about painting recently :(

No pics were missed Seacitygamer, hopefully when Skuloth has a little time she can get a bit of colour about her :).

Just about finished up Skatha today and I think Vet Hearne will be next on the list, here's a picture of her. Anyone else think the sculpt has more than a little of Harley Quinn about her?

7e80832c-559b-4772-beea-2759f3663843_zps

53 minutes ago, Anphiarus said:

No pics were missed Seacitygamer, hopefully when Skuloth has a little time she can get a bit of colour about her :).

Just about finished up Skatha today and I think Vet Hearne will be next on the list, here's a picture of her. Anyone else think the sculpt has more than a little of Harley Quinn about her?

7e80832c-559b-4772-beea-2759f3663843_zps

That Is so Beautiful! (:

Anphiarus likes this

Just a little update as I've not had much opportunity to paint of late. Finally managed to finish off Snow (my favourite mascot to date) and base the other two. 

20170518_053804_zpsgy8g7oji.jpg

Apologies for the super large pic but photobucket doesn't want to play nice this morning.

wow beautiful!

Quick question how do you get the whites to work? Every time I try white fur or cloth it just comes away really dirty looking...

Anphiarus likes this

On 2017-5-18 at 7:22 PM, Atilla_the_Nun said:

wow beautiful!

Quick question how do you get the whites to work? Every time I try white fur or cloth it just comes away really dirty looking...

I second this line of questioning

Exactly that Lena, I only use pure white at the very end when highlighting. For Snow I started in a soft brown 50-50 mix of Khemri brown and Dheneb stone (both old citadel foundation colours), once that base colour was down I highlight the model as if it were normal flesh, ignore the texture for now as you can reinforce/suggest that later. Blend as you normally would up to a 50-50 mix of Dheneb stone and white, at that point I would give the model a very fine drybrush of pure white, areas around the paws and face I would highlight the hairs individually but this is a process you can choose to leave out. Once all that is done you can add some darker colours to further enhance the white through contrast, areas such as the tips of the ears and tail are a good place to start, you can even have it in and around the paws if you wish. To darken those areas I simply watered down Nuln Oil (citadel shade) and glazed over those areas, do this in lots of thin layers and the transition will look more natural. Finally the areas around the necklaces and armour can also have a glaze of something like Agrax Earthshade to give even more contrast. I hope that helps you out a little and sorry for the late reply. 

masterkdog and speedfreek like this