Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Stone.and.Mortar

Vassal Bug/Suggestion Thread

63 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, Absoclass said:

This might be a problem specific to me, because I've seen it work for other people in earlier versions. (and it seems to be working for others, so maybe I just need to do some research.) But all attempts to see player cards yields veteran Graves. Select Hearne > Click 'Home Statistics' > See: Veteran Graves. Not sure what's up. It's actually never worked for me even in earlier versions so maybe something isn't getting installed correctly or somethin'.

>'Home Statistics'

>Select model

>Press Spacebar

Originally when I was working on the first version I had it working the way you suggested it caused huge lag when you selected a player. So now as Byron says, you have to hit space to change the card.. But this is probably a good thing sometimes you want to look at a card while moving a different model.

1 hour ago, Ratty said:

Originally when I was working on the first version I had it working the way you suggested it caused huge lag when you selected a player. So now as Byron says, you have to hit space to change the card.. But this is probably a good thing sometimes you want to look at a card while moving a different model.

1 hour ago, byronthebear said:

>'Home Statistics'

>Select model

>Press Spacebar

You guys just changed my life. Thank you.

I have found a couple mistakes. Brewers do not have a tooled up and regular Spigot has Vet Spigot card on either front or back cant remember when you click statistics for card.

8 hours ago, HammerTime said:

regular Spigot has Vet Spigot card on either front or back

Yeah, both Spigots are using the VSpigot front image.  The front image for Spigot seems to be missing entirely.

Got a couple of improvement suggestions, both really straightforward:

1) It'd be nice to have the step forward button given a hotkey, for replaying logged games.  I've changed my local copy to use backslash, and that works nicely.  I'd suggest not using a funky key like page down if possible, because my macbook keyboard doesn't do that nicely :)

[Removed second suggestion because I did not know about ctrl-z]

Noticed a couple of discrepancies during yesterday's match (v 6.5):

• oSpigot starts with 14 [HP] instead of 16
  • Hag starts with 12 [HP] instead of 14; also she has no Recovery Level set

@Ratty I'd like to express my gratitude for all the work that you've done and continue doing with Vassal GB module and provide some feedback on v7.

Farmers
(points marked by * are not necessary, but it would just be nice to have those)

• missing Tokens: Against the Grain, Big Breakfast, Cabbage Punt, Get Out! *
  • missing Special Auras: Huge Tracts of Land [Grange], Fork Off! * [Tater]
  • missing Templates: Crop Dusting *, Healing Light *

Hunters

• Snowball * (a special ball-marker would be great)
  • Nature's Chill doesn't have Terrain Exclusion Zone

Also, I'd like to bring up to your attention the discrepancies I've mentioned in the post above.

Suggestion: could you please add range auras to markers as well? So that, for example, you could put 4" on the harvest-marker to see where Tater can advance to in order to still be able to use Fork Off!. Or plan Jackstraw's teleports.

Bug Report - Arrow Key Movement Not Accurate

When using arrows keys up/down/left/right to move the distance does not appear to be exactly 1" (or 0.5" with SHIFT) each time. This is noticeable when backtracking a move.

Steps to reproduce: It seems to be turns with the arrow keys that are not quite right, though I think we have also encountered it with straight line movement. I attach a screenshot to demo this issue, using cloned players and 

Midas 1 (yellow) - Original

Midas 2 (green) - UP, UP, UP, LEFT, LEFT, UP, UP

Midas 3 (red), reversed green - DOWN, DOWN, RIGHT, RIGHT, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN

Background: A friend and I have  just started using the Vassal module and figuring how to get the most out of it. Sometimes we move by putting an aura and dragging the player. Other times (particularly on a laptop without a mouse) we use the arrow keys to walk a player around. We noticed on both our different machines that backtracking a model seems to mess with the distances if we try to fix a mistake or redo a move. The difference may seem minor in the contrived example above (though I would expect there to be no difference at all), but we have noticed differences of 0.5-1" during more complex moves. 

Capture.PNG

That's pretty common across vassal modules I'm afraid to say - it is pretty far from an ideal system!

When I play on vassal I try to stick to using auras and dragging, just because it's a little more reliable. Cloning a piece and dragging that new copy lets you set up multiple stage moves too, as you can chain auras to suit. 

Doesnt help that the keys can take a fairly long moment to react when you press turn too...

Interesting to know this is a vassal problem rather than GB module, this is my first time using Vassal. I notice it can be quite laggy at times too (not sure if this is a server issue or Java being Java....). If this is a server issue, given there isn't a huge GB lobby to hang around in anyway is it possible to host private Vassal servers to just spin up whenever my remote friends and I fancy a game?

The lag is partly java being its fun self, and a little bit a module issue (it does so much work for you in the background that it has a lot of things to check when you move stuff). Course, making it faster would mean taking out all the lovely convenient stuff...