Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Erahf

Erahf's WIP Teams

75 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm a new recruit to Guild Ball, but I can't get enough of the beautiful minis.. Really enjoying the setting and the theme, and I'm looking forward to getting my first full game under my belt after my first couple of 3v3 matches last week.

I've gone for the fish as my first team, and am making slow progress on painting them up. Planning their bases around a salt marsh at lowish tide, so I hollowed out the bases and replaced them with a lowered plasticard base so that I can top up to the brim with a clear epoxy resin when finished.

This is my goal as it stands.. Planned a ruined jetty, thinking that in the past the tides would have come higher and allowed small boats to moor. I was quite happy with how it was coming along as a modelling project, but I'm worried that it won't stand out enough on the table.. Just put together Kraken and he towers over it! I'd like to make it taller and could do with some advice from all you talented people... My current thoughts are to have a spear shoved into the marsh next to it, with fishing nets strung to an extended post on the jetty, or for a fishing net on a long vertical pole with several flags fluttering around it, a la rulebook artwork. What do you think?

DSC_0443-COLLAGE.jpg

Honestly it looks pretty cool so far, but to make it stand out, and with more height, maybe put in a banner with the Fishermans symbol on it. Possibly the remains of a sunken boat, but that migh make it a bit crowded. Or something like a shark gutting pole. I'm anxious to see how the goal evolves.

Thanks for the feedback Whiteape. I've done some more work on the goal and have gone with the flagpole. I thought about a sunken boat when I started, but decided that I'd struggle to fit it in. 50mm really isn't as big as I thought!

Here's an almost complete Shark; just to add some water effects to the base. 6 month old baby limits hobby time a bit! Very slow progress, but enjoying it.

image.jpeg

Terror and Yeti like this

That's an extremely solid paint job with great subtly. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff. 

Really liking the paint job on Shark; looks grittier and more realistic than some other examples I've seen. Looking forward to seeing the other players when done. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm working on Siren now, hopefully won't take me quite so long as Shark did now that I have a scheme in mind. First time painting a female face on a mini though, so new challenges! Need to get a smooth enough finish to live up to her rules!

Here's Siren in progress - still have leather, metals and rope to do, then will see if I need to change some of the panels of fabric to give some variation..

B8B5A642-BC2A-46E8-BB36-8D1D629C60C7.jpg

Rinzen, Yeti and Terror like this

"Finished" Siren the other day, then compared to my WIP pic and was depressed to find that despite all the work I couldn't see much difference between them! Think the leathers need more work, and maybe some more contrast on the fabric. In the meantime I've moved on to Angel, and I'll come back to Siren when I've regained some motivation for her.

Started on Angel's skin, pretty happy with how her face has turned out. Think I'll go a shade lighter with her clothes to go with her innocent look.

FD012C6C-5E3D-4AB6-A3AA-B210BDC28402.jpg

Terror likes this

Wow... that face on Angel is amazing man, I really like it. I'll have to echo the others, the hyper gritty look of your models works super well. I prefer the Siren model to the Shark, and if the flesh on Angel is anything to judge by she will oust Siren once complete! 

1 hour ago, Erahf said:

"Finished" Siren the other day, then compared to my WIP pic and was depressed to find that despite all the work I couldn't see much difference between them! 

Heh. I know that feeling. 

Great to see painting that reflects the dirtier side to a medieval style football game.Faces are most excellent esp. Angel as she has a bit of a Renaissance look to her..a bit of Mona Lisa mystery essence

Thanks for the kind comments! First time I've posted WIP pictures anywhere before, it does help to spur me on to finish them.

Angel is pretty much done and ready for basing - not entirely happy with the net at her hip but don't really know how to improve it, so onwards to Salt next I think.

EBAA01A2-7545-4DDD-80A8-CBFFBA9B5E18.jpg

52A76F2F-34AB-4F93-A43C-6E909F4897C3.jpg

Charlie, Mitsuharu, Yeti and 2 others like this

Thanks Grimhack, the crab is missing a claw and a couple of legs; meant to be a partially nibbled meal.. Could maybe make that clearer somehow?

Here's Kraken's skin so far - considering tats when I finish the rest of him.

363F36C5-21FF-4FF0-9BE3-6A51443DB140.jpg

DD3D3333-7E4C-4975-80CD-FED8D87BFD29.jpg

Yeti likes this

Thanks guys. The lobster pot frame is a paper clip bent into shape, then with gauze superglued over the frame. The gauze tends to soak up paint, but some matt varnish beforehand helped.

Greyscales is next, mixed feelings about all that detail!

30 minutes ago, Erahf said:

Greyscales is next, mixed feelings about all that detail!

I know the feeling. It looks great but is time consuming.

Ahha!

I thought it was a net on Salt's base too. I see the lobster pot now. Impressive.

As others have sad, great job on Kraken too.

So I finally got through Greyscales and have pretty much finished the basing - Salt, Greyscales and Kraken need a little top up of clear resin still. Glad to have got them at least mostly completed in time for what I hope will be a beginner friendly tournament tomorrow! Would have been nice to have Jac and Sakana done too, but at least I'll get some experience with these guys.

Thought I'd try to take some better pictures of them all - any tips for getting a bigger depth of field?

600733F5-E67C-42A2-B135-DACCC95FCE1A.jpg

0F575C3B-8CE4-42F1-9157-237259BB10D8.jpg

18E4673D-216E-47DB-B661-B2CFE3406BC7.jpg

94100FAC-9228-460B-B3F9-16B47E8AA227.jpg

3E9729D7-58E8-4BA2-92DA-5EDFD5E3F40C.jpg

B1B50F2E-886E-490F-8973-2EEF110FB5DA.jpg

ED908E78-C8C9-4915-A33E-0085D5C0DCB3.jpg